Featured Ruby Lustre

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Francisco G Kempton, Aug 12, 2021.

1. Francisco G Kempton

Francisco G Kempton Well-Known Member

Hi.

I was wondering if I could find out more about this Ruby Lustre. The Crystals appear to be attached by modern electrical wire, whether this was restoration i am not sure. I bought the Lustre at a local auction in Ireland for $50/40 euro. It is not something i would usually buy but the glass cut seemed and size made me consider it might be a good quality Ruby Lustre but I have my doubts if it is 19th century. I assume it is Copper Ruby, as it is so dark. It is the cut base that has me curious as i cannot find another like it.

I wil let the pictures speak for themselves. It is no master piece but I am wondering if it is a fine piece as it is cut ( perhaps not masterfully) but much work has gone into it. I have searched and searched and founf millions of Ruby Lustre but none that has a cut base like this one has. I also wonder is it russian, english, Czech etc.

a51.jpg a2.jpg a4.jpg a6.jpg a7.jpg a9.jpg

Thank you :)

2. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Lovely bit of Bohemian ruby cut to clear, that.

3. Francisco G Kempton

Hi Bear,

I wondered if it was.

I would have thought Bohemian are much more decorative and higher quality, with frosted glass sculptures and or generally painted and decorative.

44-1.jpg This would be Typical Bohemian. Much more detailed engraving.

George Chaney and pearlsnblume like this.
  4. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

As with anything else, there's lesser and greater. ;)

5. Francisco G Kempton

Indeed and this is much lesser than say many of the Bohemians with elegant intricate designs, but it is greater than the many generic ruby glass lustre because it has a good deal of glass work cut. However what makes you think this is Bohemian, I would think it is not Bohemian, more likley english would you not think and also do you think it is 19th century, early 20th vintage?

6. Francisco G Kempton

I wish to bump this up as I am curious about this glass as to it's possible age, and or value as a ruby lustre.

7. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

Value is so subjective, something that sells well here in Mass. won't sell in CA. Each area of every country is different. Best to do some research with local auction houses, also check completed listings on ebay.

Francisco G Kempton likes this.
  8. Francisco G Kempton

Please anyone know anything about this Ruby Lustre.

9. Francisco G Kempton

Indeed value od the item is subjective to external variables, but the item is also constant to it's inherent quality. While certain antiquities range in value across geographic boundaries, one who is expert in a specific area can appraise something for it's quality and hence potential value. Potential being the proper standard.

10. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

All I can offer is that it would be more valuable if it had its mate. These seem to sell better in pairs. Agree it's mid range in quality - seen better, seen worse. It is a nice size. I would also assume Bohemian but I don't know that anyone has done the work to explain the difference between English, Bohemian, Russian, etc. lustres. If I wanted to move it quickly in the US I'd probably price it in my showcase at a little less than $100US for a single. I might try $250 for a pair but I think it would sit for awhile. The market for most Victorian era glass is soft here.

Francisco G Kempton likes this.
  11. Francisco G Kempton

Thank you. I appreciate it, it could have been from 1960 for all I knew so was desperate to get some feedback.

12. Francisco G Kempton

Apologies if I should not bump this thread. I appreciate all the feedback thus far. Any more information about this Ruby Lustre would be appreciated. Whether it is victorian, what country it might come from.

Draft saved Draft deleted