Russell Sambrook Oil On Canvas

Discussion in 'Art' started by kardinalisimo, Sep 2, 2014.

1. spirit-of-shiloh

spirit-of-shiloh Well-Known Member

Chelsea gallery cannot, will not return Dr. Seuss artworks, collectors' lawsuit says

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/box-suit-missing-seuss-art-article-1.1503476

excerpts:

A pair of art collectors filed suit against a Manhattan auction house on Thursday for failing to return two rare pieces of originalTheodor Geisel, aka Dr. Seuss, artwork.

The pieces were preliminary covers for the beloved author's 1986 classic "You're Only Old Once: A Book for Obsolete Children," one of the few Seuss books he did expressly for adults.

Collectors James Otis and Clifford David say they bought the pieces back in 2008, and turned to the Illustration House in Chelsea when they were interested in selling them in November 2012.
    Under the terms of their deal with the auction house, which specializes in selling artwork from famous illustrators, the auctioneer had 60 days to find a buyer, or it would return the

drawings to Otis and David.

"Shortly after the expiration of 60 day consignment period, plaintiff Otis began contacting Illustration House, Inc. by telephone and electronic mail requesting the return of the two Dr. Seuss artworks," the suit says.

In April, the auction house said the pieces were "missing," and they'd notified Otis and David as soon as they were found, the suit says.

In the meantime, the pair missed a chance to show the works in another gallery, and had to turn away a prospective buyer, the court papers say.

2. spirit-of-shiloh

http://www.courthousenews.com/2012/08/15/49322.htm

What Happened to Our Norman Rockwells?

Excerpt.

Larry Kritcher, of Florida, and Eve Thyrum, of Texas, say they paid $1,475 to restore and reframe five Rockwells at the (nonparty) Art Conservation Resource Center in Boston.
    Kritcher and Thyrum claim that in 1995 they consigned the retouched paintings to defendant Illustration House, a Manhattan gallery that estimated that the pieces would sell for at least $76,000.
    "Upon information and belief, the value of these five paintings has tripled to $228,000," according to the complaint in New York County Supreme Court.
    The plaintiffs say one piece was sold at auction for $9,000 in 1996, and they got a $7,785 cut. But they say they received no word about the four other works for 16 years, until they started calling Illustration House for updates from January to March this year.

3. kardinalisimo

kardinalisimo Well-Known Member

I was just about to go for it but all this does not sound good. Any positives reviews about IH?

4. spirit-of-shiloh

Yes lots of positives but who knows if those reviews are from their friends? Their problems have occurred over years so even ONE loss of an item in their company, or the fact that they can't pay some of the customers tells me there is a probable risk?
    So I dont have a very good feeling if it was my painting. I would look around and then research any auction house to see if there are any problems first. You have a wonderful oil and I hope you find an inpeccible auction house :) JMHO.;)

Last edited: Sep 19, 2014
  5. spirit-of-shiloh

Draft saved Draft deleted