Russian - Jewellery

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Chris Sewell, Jan 12, 2017.

1. Chris Sewell

Chris Sewell New Member

IMG_4313.JPG IMG_4310.JPG Hi Folk,

I recently bought a job lot of antique coins and in amongst them was this pendant.

I believe it to be Russian having done some research online it appears to show the crest of St Petersburg.

There is a hallmark or makers mark or something similar on the rear but I can't identify this.

Other than that I know nothing else about the coin and would be grateful if anyone know anything further or could point me in the right direction for further research.

Thanks

Chris

Attached Files:

lauragarnet likes this.
  2. SBSVC

SBSVC Well-Known Member

Chris, can you possibly get a clearer shot of the markings on the back?

lauragarnet likes this.
  3. Chris Sewell

Chris Sewell New Member

Hi - yes I'll upload another photo! Thanks

4. Chris Sewell

Chris Sewell New Member

IMG_4428.JPG

lauragarnet likes this.
  5. Natasha

Natasha Well-Known Member

Hi, the emblem on the top (ship) identifies Admiralty (navy administration or ministry)

Figtree3, Ladybranch and lauragarnet like this.
  6. Ladybranch

Ladybranch Well-Known Member

Chris, welcome to the forums!

Like SBSVC, I can't see the mark clear enough even in the 2nd pic you posted to even beginning to ID it. Does your camera have a macro setting? If so try using that setting.

That crest (anchor, grapnel cross crossing a scepter) of St. Petersburg was used as the city mark from 1741 to 1896. Natasha's ID the ship as the symbol of the Admiralty. This emblem, ship, is on top of the spire/tower of the Admiralty in St. Petersburg. I suspect it represents the ship Peter the Great (father of the Russian navy) built in St. Petersburg after spending sometime learning the ship building trade in Western Europe: England, Netherlands, etc...

A ship may also be part of the mark on the back??

--- Susan

7. Ladybranch

Ladybranch Well-Known Member

This is the best I can do on editing a pic of the mark on the back. Certainly can't see it well enough to ID. I believe it is just a maker's mark (possibly an Admiralty museum shop souvenir mark. It isn't any hallmark denoting silver or gold. Instead of a ship in the mark, I think it is an anchor.

--- Susan

RussianPendantMark-combo.jpg

8. Natasha

Natasha Well-Known Member

Correct, this is maker's souvenir mark. Such things were made for tourists.

Ladybranch likes this.
  9. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

This one is nicer than the usual Russian tourist bits. I see a lot of them here and the metal used is generally aluminum and the enamel isn't nearly this good.

10. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

100 years since the Revolution......I'd say Russian stuff may be on the uptick !

Draft saved Draft deleted