Featured Russian Lacquer box signed? worth having repaired?

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by 916Bulldogs123, Jan 9, 2022.

1. 916Bulldogs123

916Bulldogs123 Well-Known Member

This was at my local GW store and i passed it up a couple times, but for only a couple dollars i thought why not.
    It is missing one leg, and damage to the hinge area is cracked a little. Any help on the signature would be appreciated. 4" x 5 1/2"
    Mikey
    weee 246.jpg weee 250.jpg weee 259.jpg weee 252.jpg
    weee 255.jpg
    weee 256.jpg weee 257.jpg

Hi2022, dude, kyratango and 3 others like this.
  2. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Easy to fix? Beautiful decoration!

3. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

The text says Fedoskino, which is the name of the village it was made in. Fedoskino is one of the famous lacquer painting villages.
    Ditto.

Hi2022, Figtree3, dude and 2 others like this.
  4. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

5. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

BEAUTIFUL!!!

Hi2022, dude and 916Bulldogs123 like this.
  6. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

7. 916Bulldogs123

Awesome I'll look into getting it fixed.
    Thank you all very much.

Hi2022, dude and Any Jewelry like this.
  8. 916Bulldogs123

Maybe @kyratango has some pointers for me on this one.
    Mikey

Hi2022, dude and Aquitaine like this.
  9. kyratango

kyratango Bug jewellery addiction!

Nice box!
    You can redo a foot from tender wood and paint it black, the crack near the hinge would stay close if you glue with wood glue and put force pressure with a strap while drying...

Hi2022, stracci, dude and 2 others like this.
  10. 916Bulldogs123

Thank you Kyra. I was thinking of wood glue and rubber band but strap might be better. I didn't think I would have a problem with the foot.
    Mikey

11. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

It's gorgeous top and I can't believe whoever broke the foot off didn't put it inside of the box! Bummer...

12. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

That has a *very* nice picture. Much more detailed than the painted pics on most lacquered boxes.

13. AnaK

AnaK Member

It is a nice box and design; a general word of caution: it is hard to tell from the photos, please take a closer look to make sure it is a not a printed background lacquered over and then finished with some hand painted touches. There are several Russian villages known for the lacquer box productions. They are all handpainted with beautiful designs; some are numbered for authenticity purposes; many have an artist name and a date. But also for a greater affordability, a cheaper version of the boxes are produced. In such case a printed “picture” is affixed to the top of the box, lacquered over and finished with a limited hand painting. You can tell with a better magnification and also if there is a raised smooth edge on the top where the “ picture” is attached. Again, it is very hard to tell, and I can be wrong, but In the photos there appears to be an edge on the top. If it is indeed the case, it is not an expensive artist box, but rather just a very attractive souvenir, with not that much value; hence not worth the repairs. Good luck, hope you have a nice hand painted box!

14. antidiem

This is such excellent information and advice, thank you so much, AnaK.

@916Bulldogs123

Hi2022 and 916Bulldogs123 like this.
  15. antidiem

And in looking closely at it, I think it could be a print with some over-painting.
    Mike, please let us know! :)

916Bulldogs123 likes this.
  16. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

I was wondering about that possibility, too. Good information!

916Bulldogs123 likes this.
  17. 916Bulldogs123

I really wanted it to be hand painted but it is a print. After searching for a couple days I did find another one with the same scene.
    Thank you all very much for helping me with this.
    Mikey

Any Jewelry, AnaK, kyratango and 2 others like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted