Featured Russian Lacquer Boxes

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by cxgirl, Jan 10, 2018.

1. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

Hi,
    I'm trying to find a site to research Russian Lacquer boxes, I thought I saw a site posted here a while ago but I'm not able to find it. I'm always picking them up and would like to learn more about them.
    thanks for looking
    DSCF1948.jpg DSCF1949.jpg DSCF1950.jpg DSCF1951.jpg DSCF1954.jpg

Last edited: Jan 10, 2018
  2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

I always love them. I don't know if this is the site you were looking for, but it has good info on the different styles:
    http://www.russianlacquerart.com/cnt/Palekh
    This is the page for Palekh, the other lacquerware producing towns are in the sidebar.

3. aaroncab

aaroncab in veritate victoria

4. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

5. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

thanks AJ:) I'll check the site out. Truthfully I can't remember the name of the other site, but I remember looking through it and it had lots of information.
    thanks aaron and Lucille:)

6. wenna

wenna Well-Known Member

Beautiful...I love these too.

7. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

8. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

That's a nice crop of boxes......I like em too !!

9. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

10. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

thank-you folks:) I like them too!

11. Chris Mount

Chris Mount Getting there

Never seen those before they are pretty special. Amazed at the detail compared to some japanese ones which are really tourist items I would gather. Would these be more specific as artwork or tourist items

12. SBSVC

SBSVC Well-Known Member

Would these be more specific as artwork or tourist items

Chris, I think the best answer to that is BOTH, but most of those available at reasonable prices are likely to have been made for export. Many of them illustrate popular Russian folktales.

There used to be a store in Rockefeller Center in NYC that sold ONLY Russian lacquer boxes - and SOME of them were way beyond expensive! I'm talking in the thousands of dollars here - but, wow, were they exquisite! (NOT your normal tourist stuff, for sure.)

I have a couple dozen of these boxes myself, none terribly old (mine are from the mid-1970's thru the early 1990's.) There was a store in the DC area that once sponsored a "by-invitation only" cocktail party with three of Russia's then-famous painters of the higher end boxes. I went to the party, but I didn't buy any boxes that night - again, the prices were astronomical!)

I have always kept mine in display cabinets, behind glass. I don't think the humidity should change much inside the cabinets, yet I've noticed of late that some of my boxes have begun to craze and/or show surface crackling.
    These are not the phenomenally expensive ones, but they were all rather pricey back in the day...

Has anyone else had this happen? The damage makes me very sad, and I'm wondering what I'm doing wrong.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2018
  13. Any Jewelry

I haven't had this on my boxes, I only have two left, both from the 70s. I have one on my desk and another on a window sill (north facing, no direct sunlight), so no protection at all.
    My mother had some gorgeous Palekh boxes, Firebird, etc. They were on top of a little cabinet for decades, so no protection either. They still looked pristine when we sold them, after she passed away.
    Could it be fumes from the wood of your display cabinets? Just a wild guess....

I found this site:
    http://buyrussiangifts.com/index.php?route=pages/story-pages&story_id=2
    They advise storing them in a cotton lined box, but then you never see them.
    They also advise windex if there is any spill or residue, something I wouldn't even dare to use on lacquer.

Here is one of those gorgeous high-end boxes, from Fedoskino:

upload_2018-1-11_9-38-35.jpeg

http://www.tristarmedia.com/bestofrussia/fedoskino.html

14. SBSVC

SBSVC Well-Known Member

Geez, AJ... If I wanted to store them in a "cotton lined box", I wouldn't bother having them!

I do have some of the high-end boxes, and they're "crackling" just as badly as some of the less expensive ones! (Meanwhile, I have some mid-range ones, purchased in Alaska in the 1980's, that are doing just fine...)

As my millennial-aged son would say, WTF???

15. Any Jewelry

Exactly, if you have something that beautiful, you don't want to keep it in a box.

16. SBSVC

SBSVC Well-Known Member

AJ, do you think I'm doing something wrong, in how I'm displaying/storing them?
    Until recently, they've seemingly been just fine... for YEARS!

Christmasjoy and judy like this.
  17. Any Jewelry

Frankly, I have no idea. I can't find any info on it online.
    I only know cracks can appear on Chinese lacquer through heat or dry conditions. Direct sunlight is a nono.
    But Russian lacquer probably has a different composition.

For Chinese lacquer maintenance I use a very old method: rub with rice oil, sprinkle with a little flour to soak up any residue, wipe the flour off, and buff.

Christmasjoy, pewter2 and judy like this.
  18. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

SBSVC, how about checking with the Russian Icon museum in Clinton, MA????
    Pretty sure they would have some good info, since they are supposed to be world renown!! www.museumofrussianicons.org
    One would think they might know or at least be able to point you in a good direction too!:rolleyes:

19. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

I used to look at a certain site for information about these but didn't save the URL and can't find it through a search. Too bad, since it was informative. Besides the pages linked above, I found a couple of other sites

http://www.tradestonegallery.com/index.php?content=boxguide

http://www.russianamericancompany.com/russian-lacquer-boxes-collectors-guide/

20. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

well, you showed yours CX....so, might as well show mine and get in on the thread....:happy::happy:

9 1/2 x 7....called...Snow - Girl .
    Palekh , collected in the 60's , in the USSR.
    # 3302...or 82...?

There is a little ...minor bubbling on the bright red interior.....& other than a couple of flea bite dents...the condition is original.

P1010031.JPG P1010041.JPG P1010042.JPG P1010050.JPG

Draft saved Draft deleted