Featured Russian painting of Prophet Elijah on wood panel

Discussion in 'Art' started by Kevolee, Jun 14, 2024.

1. Kevolee

Kevolee Well-Known Member

I am hoping someone can help me with this piece. It is the Prophet Elijah on wood and appears to be hand painted. I did a Google image search and the first to appear was the same exact depiction of the one I have that was done by a woman in Australia. I don't know if this is her work or if she somehow found another image of this to work from. The back of the board is interesting in that it has two sections with dovetail inserts. There is also a note on the back that says "painted in Russia" and "purchased in Morocco in 1980" along with writing I assume to be in Russian. It measures around 10 3/4" by 7 3/4" Hopefully someone can help give me and idea of how old this may be or any other information that may be useful. Thanks in advance for any help.

icon2.jpg icon3.jpg icon4.jpg icon5.jpg icon6.jpg icon7.jpg icon8.jpg icon9.jpg

2. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Think Russian would be written in Cyrillic letters. This is some other Eastern European language.

wlwhittier and Any Jewelry like this.
  3. Boland

Boland Well-Known Member

Does look by hand (pastel and paint?) But also looks like fairly recent amateur decor work (maybe even someone’s home project) to me. If it was purchased in the 80’s then I would think it was also created sometime in the 80’s (but wait for more knowledgeable members to respond)

4. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

A fairly recent icon. I think 'Novgorodi' on the label means it is a copy of a Novgorod icon.
    The script is the same as ours, Latin script, and the language is Hungarian. Hungary has a small Orthodox community.

wlwhittier and Boland like this.
  5. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

As above. Copy of a Novgorod icon. Elijah. c. late 15 - early 16 c.

Debora

1200px-N.Novgorod_Elijah_icon.jpg

komokwa, wlwhittier and Boland like this.
  6. Kevolee

Kevolee Well-Known Member

Thanks for all of the information! I suspected it was more recent because the back doesn't have that patina of older wood or any real signs of age. I only spent $2.45 for it so it was interesting enough to take a chance.

7. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

The mystery is how it got to Morocco.

Debora

johnnycb09 likes this.
  8. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

There are many Europeans in Morocco, because it is close by and the people are friendly.

johnnycb09 and wlwhittier like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted