Rusty pocket knives

Discussion in 'Militaria' started by Houseful, Mar 6, 2021.

1. Houseful

Houseful Well-Known Member

7D42278F-D429-45B7-9521-0C7E2B47DA85.jpeg One of these is 1940 Wade and Butcher, the other a Camillus, might be for fishing as it has a hook remover? I don’t know much about knives or how to clean them without wrecking them for any collector. Any tips please or are they too far gone? Thanks.
    @komokwa
    AB9257D0-C5B4-4068-9F26-4552D05B2077.jpeg 5529B999-AAA3-47AE-BBA0-B0357F0FA636.jpeg C47E0AD7-8960-4229-B6DB-14BFB49B2BB1.jpeg 2B71D1FC-4158-436D-8EA4-6C79A1BD7435.jpeg F22BE4C7-7FD7-4FC6-8F93-CB9A5C75C159.jpeg 25F018EC-33DF-4DC5-BD0B-637A69FF299A.jpeg 2987CA57-C15A-41ED-AC13-AB14EF3AA0D6.jpeg

komokwa and i need help like this.
  2. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Moderator Moderator

I've just sharpened and cleaned several.

Any metal polish will do, particularly the type that was used for chromework on cars and bikes.
    Plenty of elbow grease.

komokwa and Houseful like this.
  3. Houseful

Thanks, pity I don’t have a motorbike any more as had Autosol around then.

komokwa likes this.
  4. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

nice classic working knives.....down by the dock !!

slow and steady ...elbow grease ....like davey said.

The caps will be hard to bring back as the plating looks worn...but you can be rougher on the blades...

It guts will want some some oiling ....
    as will the handles , once most of the gunk is removed....

They look well loved...( read used..) but I think u can get them back ...bring them....back to life.........with patience !!!

5. Houseful

Thanks Komokwa, I’ll post the results, just got to buy some polish.
    I remember Gunk....I used to use that product on my motor bike too!

komokwa likes this.
  6. Fern77

Fern77 Well-Known Member

The Sheffield one is what they call an English Army Knife, and this is the most common set up: fixed puncher/screwdriver, can opener, marlin spike (used to untie rope, etc) and slip joint, lambs foot blade (greatly altered by sharpening in the case of yours). They are not in short supply but are highly collectable nonetheless. Watch out for excess spill of solvents to the old plastic scales when cleaning.

komokwa, Houseful and David Askett like this.
  7. Lark

Lark Well-Known Member

From an earlier comment I made on rusty pocket knives.my husband and i owned a gun and antique store after we retired. semi retired from that now. There is a cleaning pad called
    big Frontier 45.https://www.amazon.com/Big-45-Frontier-Metal-Cleaner/dp/B07RM692X8. It looks like a kitchen scouring pad but it is NOT. We use it to clean gun barrels. It does not hurt factory blueing on the barrels; it is that gentle. I use it to clean up pocket knives and carbon steel kitchen knives. It is truly an amazing as all of our customers can attest to. I took a pocket knife i got for free because it was rusted shut. Cleaned it right up using the pad and a little gun oil. it did not remove the discoloration from the rust but the blade was smooth as new. I take a little piece and run it into the grooves . in less than 30 min that knife was up for sale. can't use it on the nickel or brass bolsters it will scratch those. If you can't get the pad try just scraping with a nickel( also used to clean gun barrels)

Houseful likes this.
  8. Houseful

Looks as if the Big 45 is a very good product. Thanks for the info.

Draft saved Draft deleted