Featured Ruth Gikow Original Serigraph

Discussion in 'Art' started by laura9797, Sep 15, 2021.

1. laura9797

laura9797 Well-Known Member

So my question is - is this just a really good rendering? I had to remove it from the frame because I could see areas of raised painting. I tried to photo it in raking light. IMG_3657.jpg IMG_3664.jpg IMG_3660.jpg IMG_3661.jpg IMG_3665.jpg IMG_3663.jpg IMG_3667.jpg This work did have the label 'Serigraph Gallery at 38 West 57th Street in New York City' aka National Serigraph Society. The society was founded in 1940 by group of artists involved in the WPA Federal art project. According to the records, in 1947 and 1951 the Dallas Museum of Fine Arts held exhibitions of the National Serigraph Society and Ruth Gikow was listed.
    The piece was purchased in Atlanta at auction. The work appears to be signed in graphite so she could have embellished this by hand by I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts? Paper size is approx. 14.75" x 12.25", sight 11.75" x 10". Thank you!

judy, reader, sabre123 and 3 others like this.
  2. Lithographer

Lithographer Well-Known Member

This looks like a serigraph or (silkscreen print) to me. I can see where the colors have been layered over one another. Nothing unusual about having a pencil signature, printers sign, title and number prints as a matter of practice. Hard to say how many of these were printed, there does not seem to be any indication of edition size. The work has the appearance of serigraphs that I have owned from that era, the colors always seem to be a bit muted.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2021
    judy, sabre123 and laura9797 like this.
  3. laura9797

laura9797 Well-Known Member

Thank you Lithographer! Is it common for the paint to go outside the margins like this one? I am used to handling newer serigraphs that don't appear to be as layered or look 'embellished' and the process usually is keep within the margins. I appreciate your help!

judy likes this.
  4. Lithographer

Lithographer Well-Known Member

Yeah, it kind of looks like they just eyeballed it when they printed the different colors. Usually the artist creates a system of registration to line up successive screens. The amount of pressure that you use and speed with which you pull the ink across the screen can affect whether the ink creeps outside of your design or leaves blank spots. I like your print because I bet each one from the edition is slightly different from the others.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2021
    judy, reader, sabre123 and 1 other person like this.
  5. reader

reader Well-Known Member

i agree and the artist may have purposely gone off register which definitely adds interest IMO. Look at Warhol screenprints. They’re about as off register as can be and they’re wonderful.

laura9797 and judy like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted