Featured Saint Augustine Florida porcelain

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Brett Stewart, Mar 24, 2019.

1. Brett Stewart

Brett Stewart New Member

Found in Saint Augustine Florida, trying to identify, not sure about the age of this. Thanks for help.

Attached Files:

2. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Welcome, Brett -- I'm not an expert, so wait for others, but... I don't think it's porcelain. It looks more like a pottery type of ceramic to me.

3. Brett Stewart

Brett Stewart New Member

Yes, I think your answer is more accurate...I think I got porcelain confused with ceramics.

4. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Welcome, Brett! The decoration on your piece has the look of faience, although with the all blue and off-white some might say "Delft". Could be Spanish, possibly Portuguese, or done by someone elsewhere intending to replicate the style.

I don't think it's very old from the shape, but others more informed will be along to comment.

How did you come by it in Saint Augustine? Estate, yard sale, thrift shop? How long ago?

5. Brett Stewart

Brett Stewart New Member

Acquire this at an artifact show. The only information I have is that it was dug up by a construction crew in downtown Saint Augustine Florida. But I have not verified this yet. And it could just be a story. At the end of the day, if you don’t much history on it, you I have to buy something like this because you like the piece itself, not the story.

6. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

I live in Jacksonville,hi neighbor ! I think its a souvenier type of piece,but an older one. You have to remember St. Auggie has been a popular tourist spot for 120 years. Something about the staining throws me,and the shape.

Christmasjoy, scoutshouse and judy like this.
  7. Brett Stewart

Brett Stewart New Member

Thanks for the input... I don’t know if this helps but there are no identification markings on it that I can find...

8. silverthwait

silverthwait Well-Known Member

9. Christmasjoy

Christmasjoy Well-Known Member

WELCOME Brett !!! ... Joy. :)

KSW and i need help like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted