Saint George and the Dragon Statue

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Scott Jenkins, Jul 15, 2021.

1. Scott Jenkins

Scott Jenkins New Member

Optimized-16263534386565381965485415802389.jpg Optimized-16263534621106569582169436233084.jpg Optimized-1626353562448367469201507969953.jpg Hi,
    I've just inherented this statue.
    I'm not looking to sell but my grandparents apparently bought this in France a good few years ago which apparently came from a church.
    The base and back appears to be made from wood.
    Any inside into the potential history and value (for insurance purposes if needed) that would be really helpful as I would like to work out some history from it if possible.
    It measures 37 inches in height.
    Thanks in advance

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 15, 2021
    Bronwen likes this.
  2. wiscbirddog

wiscbirddog Well-Known Member

3. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Does this mean you think other parts are made of something else? What do you think it is?

4. Scott Jenkins

Scott Jenkins New Member

Looking back over the statue I would say it's made of wood but the face appears to be made of plaster perhaps.

You can see the wood grain on the helmet where the paints come off

Last edited: Jul 15, 2021
    Bronwen likes this.
  5. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

It's probably wood coated with gesso, which is a very plaster-like material. It's easy to smooth and preps the wood for painting.

kyratango, Fid, Bronwen and 1 other person like this.
  6. bercrystal

bercrystal Well-Known Member

Hello @Scott Jenkins & welcome to the forum!! :happy::happy:

With the way the back is made, it looks like it was at one time attached to a plaque or something that was likely hung on a wall.

Can we see a photo of the bottom? Are there any marks or signatures anywhere of the piece?

Bronwen likes this.
  7. Scott Jenkins

Scott Jenkins New Member

Hopefully these have attached, sorry their sideways! I can't see any marks or signatures although will look properly later.

Yes seems like your correct about being attached to something else or against a wall!

Attached Files:

Bronwen and bercrystal like this.
  8. bercrystal

bercrystal Well-Known Member

I think that turning sideways happens with photos taken with I-phones. I believe others have said if you email the photos to yourself it will correct them BWDIK.

I think @moreotherstuff is correct about the make-up of this piece.

Bronwen likes this.
  9. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

10. Bronwen

I'm finding it frustrating trying to find anything on the market comparable to this piece. This St. Joseph is 2 feet high:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/373096384175

Not as large & detailed as yours. Price asked may be wishful thinking.

You can pick the century on this site. The 18th century pieces are closer to yours than others:

https://www.anticstore.art/mobilier/antique-wood-sculpture/18th-century

This St. Ambrose is 2 1/2 feet high & has elements other than the figure in the composition:

https://www.anticstore.art/84322P

Did your grandparents buy antiques? This really is very well done. (I'm impressed with the hands & the survival of the fingers.) I think you're looking at quite a valuable piece, in part because of the popularity of dragons.

The prices at this site are far less stratospheric than the ones on the antiques site.

My favorite from the church furnishings site:

https://churchantiques.com/product/small-china-putti-cherub-having-a-moment/

11. Scott Jenkins

Scott Jenkins New Member

Thank you for the reply, really interesting.

Yeah I haven't found anything online which is comparable yet either. It's interesting to see all the different resources you look at.

Yes my grandparents did quite a bit of travelling around Europe and picked up things which took their fancy. It's been on a mantle in their house all my lifetime (34 years) and was out of reach when I was a youngster (thankfully!) so it was well kept when they had it. Not sure when they bought it but know it was in France.

Jez, really think it could be from the 18 Century?

I might ring up the church antique store to see if they've come across a similar piece....

Bronwen likes this.
  12. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

I'm not getting an 18th century vibe from this. I don't think it's later than the 2nd half of the 19th, and could be much newer than that.

Bronwen likes this.
  13. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

I don't see old old either. (The 18th Century is the 1700s!)

Debora

Bronwen likes this.
  14. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

With that "knights of yore" look, I'd think Victorian perhaps or newer.

Debora

Last edited: Jul 15, 2021
    Bronwen likes this.
  15. Bronwen

It was only that the century with the most examples of polychromy wood pieces on that particular site is the 18th. It's hardly proof of anything. I'm not finding the same pose at all. This marble, which is noted as missing the sword (& probably the shield) comes closest:

[​IMG]

https://www.icollector.com/Saint-George-Standing-on-Slain-Dragon_i27954226

Lots of equestrian versions or in the act of spearing the poor beast. This contemplative George is elusive, as are 3 foot tall ones.

16. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

I suspect the pose was inspired by Donatello's sculpture, also in contrapposto, showing St. George at rest (after slaying the dragon.) Here's a St. George by Victorian Pre-Raphaelite artist Charles Edward Hallé. A painting, and an action pose, but very similar in sensibility to the figure above.

Debora

Charles Edward HALLE St George.jpg

Bronwen likes this.
  17. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

18. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

St George is most venerated in the southern part of France, being the patron saint of Catalunya, and all that.

I'd agree on polychrome gesso over wood. I wonder if he isn't as late as the 1920s.

verybrad and moreotherstuff like this.
  19. Scott Jenkins

Scott Jenkins New Member

Thanks all for the replies - all really helpful and informative.

I've emailed the church antique supplier to see if they've seen something similar. Appreciate they've got a business to run and may not come back to me but worth a shot.

Yeah so around 1920s is most likely. Any ideas on value? Or recon it's what someone would be willing to pay...?

Thanks again

Draft saved Draft deleted