Featured Samurai Lamp

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by J Dagger, Mar 30, 2020.

1. J Dagger

J Dagger Well-Known Member

E66E1271-1E0C-4016-B9A1-E3436AD4BD60.jpeg Found this for sale, looks to be of pretty high quality. Curious if anyone can tell me anything about this one? Described only as mid century. Asking price is $100 so not maybe not a money maker but I just thought it looked nice and wanted to know if anyone could add any input on who/when/where? 24” but not sure if that includes the shade hardware or not. Seems like some Satsuma elements minus the purple maybe? 7EF88169-33F6-4412-A656-1D82E8259F83.jpeg 5C131596-FD16-4725-92A3-0E7D145AE135.jpeg DF7AA6C9-F1D7-47DB-B34E-664A517B79B0.jpeg

Rec, blooey, Any Jewelry and 2 others like this.
  2. flipper

flipper Striving to face adversity with tact and humor

While I am NO expert on most things, including Japanese art, I will say that the features in the man's face look more European than Asian. Almost a little "cartoonish" or fantastical in nature? It is a very pretty lamp, but I question its authenticity to the period and style. If it is for aesthetic purposes, I think it it great....oh, and I am not a seller, either, so....
    (Just a thought from the peanut gallery)

Lucille.b, J Dagger, judy and 2 others like this.
  3. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Speaking from the peanut gallery - that has got to be the ugliest piece of Japanese ceramics I have ever seen. High Quality?? It looks done with decals, not hand painting. $100 is an absurd price. JMHO, YMMV.

4. flipper

Besides presenting a very direct observation and opinion on this piece, I was wondering if you could tell me what YMMV means? That was not so clear. ty

5. rink28

rink28 Well-Known Member

Modern vase trying to imitate an old vase but horribly done. No way for 100.

judy and scoutshouse like this.
  6. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

I disagree, I think it WAS a very fine early 20thc Kyoto earthenware vase that suffered some damage, i.e. neck was broken and therefore reduced and made into a lamp.

Rec, kentworld, J Dagger and 4 others like this.
  7. scoutshouse

scoutshouse Well-Known Member

Your Mileage May Vary

As an accent lamp with that lavender color, it's fun. Seems good quality.

I suspect decal, as well. Is there any mark on the brass socket?

J Dagger likes this.
  8. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

I believe this is hand decorated, very fine work and not a decal.

If you look at the overall shape of the vase, imagine the missing section of the neck where it would open up and flare out to the rim.

J Dagger, judy and scoutshouse like this.
  9. scoutshouse

@J Dagger

Can you tell if it's hand painted? I can't...

J Dagger and judy like this.
  10. Malcolm

Malcolm Active Member

It's dead ugly and looks cheap.

11. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

Ah yes, Kinkozan (who probably produced this vase) has always been synonymous with ugly and cheap productions.

12. flipper

All opinions aside, can anyone enlighten me as to what YMMV means?

scoutshouse and J Dagger like this.
  13. scoutshouse

Last edited: Mar 30, 2020
    J Dagger likes this.
  14. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

15. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Each to their own.
    I am another idiot who prefers this to the gaudy Satsuma ware crowded with badly painted Samurai, Immortals etc we usually see in the West. This, to my eye, is much more stylish and of a more artistic quality.
    I would be tempted to buy it.
    The faces look pretty Japanese to me, as does the Samurai armour, the way it is painted, and rest of the decoration.
    :hilarious:

16. Any Jewelry

17. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

Nice @Any Jewelry, but the OP's lamp is more my thing, I think it's just great.

judy, scoutshouse and J Dagger like this.
  18. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

Do I detect a note of irony?
    I think it is lovely. Do you know how hard it is just to get that consistent and subtle transition of color in the base glaze? Too bad it is not in its original state, as @blooey suggests.

19. Any Jewelry

Mine too, I like the spacing of the figures and the shading of the background.
    As you may have gathered, I hate those crowded pieces.;)

20. Any Jewelry

That is one of the signs of quality. That and the amazingly detailed Samurai figures, of course.
    I think I will rummage through my old dvd's to find a Kurosawa to watch tonight.:)

Draft saved Draft deleted