Featured Sarreguemines - need help dating U & C

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by OakandThistle, May 21, 2023.

1. OakandThistle

OakandThistle Member

This is a small triangular vase 7 1/4” tall with each side being 3 1/8”. The mark
    IMG_0711.jpeg IMG_0710.jpeg IMG_0715.jpeg IMG_0713.jpeg IMG_0715.jpeg IMG_0710.jpeg IMG_0711.jpeg IMG_0713.jpeg “U & C” with the number 928 below. It doesn’t seem to have any periods in the mark, and it looks to be hand incised. I assume it is “Utzschneider & Co” from Sarreguemines, France, but I have no references that will date this mark. Any help will is appreciated.

2. Roaring20s

Roaring20s Well-Known Member

3. OakandThistle

OakandThistle Member

Yes, thank you. I’m usually pretty good at researching items. I should have looked harder.

Roaring20s and pearlsnblume like this.
  4. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

I spent a little time last night looking to see if I could find anywhere that showed the U&C alone as Utzschneider & Co. I didn't find anything yet saying that they did use that version of the mark though they certainly used U&C as part of other marks of theirs. I don't know if they made a vase like yours.

I did find that J. Uffrecht & Co used a mark like this. I am not personally familiar with all that Uffrecht made so I have no idea if they made anything like your vase.

I found the first link above that referred to the artist Rudolf Uffrecht confusing (but I am easily confused). It speaks of Rudolf Uffrecht as the artist that made the sculpture that was then created by Utzschneider . Just a quick read of Wiki says that Uffrecht's father produced his works at his factory in Germany which makes me wonder if people attributing some of the works to Utzschneider know something or are just guessing.

I don't know. Hopefully someone will have more knowledge.

The Rudolf Uffrecht wiki page where it mentions his father's factory.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rudolf_Uffrecht

"His father had founded a ceramics factory in Haldensleben which produced Rudolf's works commercially, among other wares."

Uffrecht & Co information from the marks book by Rontgen, this is mark 2949 mentioned, the other mark mentioned is a different version with a crown.[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 22, 2023
  5. Curioser

Curioser Well-Known Member

@Roaring20s I love the Prcelain Marks & More site. Thanks for providing the link! I can't offer any insight on the unusual vase. To me it has a Asian/Japanese style, as in Aesthetic Movement, late 19th century.

Roaring20s likes this.
  6. Roaring20s

Roaring20s Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted