Satsuma teacup and saucer set... 19C? Plus other questions.

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Lucille.b, Nov 8, 2021.

1. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

First off, correct to call these "Satsuma", right?

4 of these teacups and saucers were at my local thrift last night, and this thrift has a 7 day full return for credit w/original tag policy. Usually cups and saucers are $1.99, but these were $7.99 a set, so almost $40 for the group. I had in my mind, I could return these if need be. In general I try not to do too much of that, but I knew if I didn't pick these up they'd be gone by the next day. I would be buying them for resale and mostly do online.

They are pretty amazing... just took a photo of one, but there are four cups and four saucers. I'm thinking they could maybe be late 19C (?). But they have a condition issue.

Nearly chip free which is great (no saucers have chips, one teacup has a chip) but all have pretty severe crazing/darkening, which seems like a pretty big condition issue, so would really just be for display only.

They are signed. One thing that stood out for me on these was the dragon handle. Does anyone know values here? In very crazed condition does that rule out good resale?? I think I would want to get at least $100 for the set (remember 1 cup has a chip) to make it worth my while. Thoughts? Thanks! Here are some photos:

teacup1.jpg

teacup1b.jpg
    No idea if I have orientation correct. (Let me know.) Also the mark looks dark, but it is in shiny gold. Just didn't catch the light.

teacup2.jpg

Here's the mark from the saucer, also in gold:

teacup4b.jpg

teacup4.jpg

You can see the crazing on the edges, it's honestly pretty bad and dark inside the cups, some more than others.
    teacup5.jpg

They do photograph well, almost better than in real life. What do you think about resale?

Last edited: Nov 8, 2021
  2. Ce BCA

Ce BCA Well-Known Member

Correct, Japanese Satsuma ware with moriage detail. They date from the 1920's to just before WW2. The crazing is intentional and is supposed to be there, they were not really made for use. The mark on the base is for Shinzan, quite a well referenced maker, $100 would be top end for them, they are not a particularly sought after style.

DizzyDaff, John Brassey, judy and 5 others like this.
  3. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

That is very helpful Ce BCA. Thank you.

judy and pearlsnblume like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted