Scary Folk Art, Native American or None of the Above

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by jakes vintage, Sep 10, 2015.

1. jakes vintage

jakes vintage Well-Known Member

Kinda scary wood carving, here in NM we see all kinds of kachina but I've never seen this style or type. Has turquoise on it as a necklace, buttons for the coat and his eyes though a couple are missing. Any thoughts on this?
    20150910_194423.jpg 20150910_194459.jpg

GaleriaGila and KingofThings like this.
  2. springfld.arsenal

springfld.arsenal Store: http://www.springfieldarsenal.net/

Looks like something from Area 51 over in Nevada.

KingofThings and silverthwait like this.
  3. Darkwing Manor

Darkwing Manor Well-Known Member

No idea, first impressions- looks Polynesian/Hawaiian because of the base, monkey or bat-like character. Naïve artist/style. probably no help at all.

4. KingofThings

KingofThings 'Illiteracy is a terrible thing to waist' - MHH

Full size, living and expired ALIEN SIGN 4 TRUCK (360x480).jpg ones, were transported in my '69 Chevy security truck from Area 51. :)

pearlsnblume likes this.
  5. jakes vintage

I was thinking it looked batish too

KingofThings likes this.
  6. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

A well dressed chupacabra?

7. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

Not NA...!

KingofThings likes this.
  8. KingofThings

KingofThings 'Illiteracy is a terrible thing to waist' - MHH

Sha na... ?

komokwa likes this.
  9. GaleriaGila

GaleriaGila Hola, y'all!

This thing fascinates me... I have Googled endless descriptors and images to no avail. Jake, are there ANY markings at ALL? Probably not or you would have mentioned it. Maybe not on the base but someplace else? Artists can be quirky! Maybe just an odd little symbol someplace? Did you obtain it with any other items? Could you ask the source what it is? Otherwise I will have to pronounce this to be a Bela Lugosi kachina. By the way, I hail from Las Cruces!

KingofThings likes this.
  10. jakes vintage

Loro,
    Los lunas here... hello neighbor... there was some felt on the bottom that I removed in hopes of finding some sort of mark but there is nothing as far as marks go.. I picked it up at a local thrift store so any back story on it is long since gone. I will go over it with a loop to make sure there wasn't anything missed..

KingofThings likes this.
  11. GaleriaGila

GaleriaGila Hola, y'all!

Am in Cleveland now, REPRESENTING up here in Yankeeland.
    Great, I hope you find something. It really is a fascinating object. Might be cool to try to determine what kind of wood, too.

KingofThings likes this.
  12. GaleriaGila

GaleriaGila Hola, y'all!

New member Shaun51 answered my question about this... he said

"Thanks everyone for the warm welcome. That particular carving does not strike me as from this continent. Perhaps Central or South America. I can't be sure and it's only a guess on my part. It's very rare to see a wood carving with inset decorative stones although on occasion I have seen pieces where an artist has used them but as I've said, it's an exception."

shaun51

KingofThings likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted