Featured Scottish? Military

Discussion in 'Ephemera and Photographs' started by Kronos, Sep 1, 2018.

1. Kronos

Kronos Well-Known Member

Picked up a few photos today. One shows a military band in front of a barracks like building. Some look to be holding bagpipes. One guy with a big drum looks to be dressed in fur. On the building in the back it says DC and then some small symbol by the C.

The other picture shows a mix of military uniformed men and striped shirt men posing with a trophy and soccer ball that says *DC* Cup Winner 1902-03 1903-04.

ir.jpg ir2.jpg ir3.jpg ir4.jpg

Diggummup, judy and i need help like this.
  2. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Figtree3, Kronos, Any Jewelry and 2 others like this.
  3. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Here's the address, Lower Oakfield Street, Kelty, Fife. Not fancy.

Debora

FORUM Kelty Fife.jpg

4. BaseballGames

BaseballGames Well-Known Member

5. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Kelty is a former mining village. The address could have been where it was to be sent to. I can't find anything on barracks in Kelty, and the setting looks colonial to me.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2018
    yourturntoloveit, judy and Kronos like this.
  6. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Nice photos.. I especially like the one with the military band, due to the details, like the people watching from the windows and the dog. Looks like the only question you asked had to do with whether these were both from Scotland? Or maybe you knew the band one was. :)

Kronos, yourturntoloveit and judy like this.
  7. Any Jewelry

I don't think they were taken in Scotland. It looks like a Scottish regiment in one of the colonies. Somewhere hot and dry, not very Scottish.;)
    Kelty:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 2, 2018
    Kronos, yourturntoloveit and Figtree3 like this.
  8. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Oh, true... and the clothing on the people in the background is light colored. Thanks!

Any Jewelry likes this.
  9. Jivvy

Jivvy the research is my favorite

I'm thinking Cameronians, pre-wwi ... Second Boer War, maybe...

(edit: just realized there is a date provided... so I'm a pretty good guesser on the era, right? :hilarious:)

Kronos likes this.
  10. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Moderator Moderator

DC could be Divisional Cup.

I bet the football photograph was taken in South Africa just after the Boer War.

The officer in the middle is wearing the Military Cross and the others in uniform have bars attached to their medals.

Because there were so many battles a bar was added to their medal with the name of the conflict instead of another medal.

Like these.

images.jpg

Kronos, komokwa and Figtree3 like this.
  11. Jivvy

mmm... think Cameronian is not the right call. Even taking into consideration the lack of details present, by the time of this photo (as best I can tell), the Cameronians were wearing the Douglas tartan which has a pretty obvious white thread running through it.

Kronos likes this.
  12. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Kronos likes this.
  13. Any Jewelry

14. Jivvy

15. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Kronos likes this.
  16. Jivvy

Kronos likes this.
  17. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Too much vegetation, I'd think. Part of the Black Watch stationed in South Africa went home. The rest went on to India. (According to my link.)

Debora

Kronos likes this.
  18. Jivvy

My recommendation for further assistance is to post a query at http://www.blackwatchforums.co.uk/

There's a gent with the user name ronmarsden and I bet that he'll have a pretty quick answer as to the "where" of this.

Kronos and Any Jewelry like this.
  19. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

My immediate impression because of the building was India

Draft saved Draft deleted