sea landscape, 19th century?

Discussion in 'Art' started by SSlava, Sep 8, 2018.

1. sabre123

sabre123 Well-Known Member

It does look like a Romanticism genre to me, by someone who was influenced by Turner and others in that time period. Subject matter, turbulent water, the sun/sky, etc.

It looks old. I don't know if it's Turner old, though.

I did see some paintings by Ayvazovsky that looked of a much lesser quality than what I posted. Whether that was intentional, earlier/later works, it's anyone's guess.

SSlava likes this.
  2. Jivvy

Jivvy the research is my favorite

I cannot give you a date. But "first half of the 19th century" would surprise me -- my guess would closer to first half of the 20th century.

SSlava and sabre123 like this.
  3. sabre123

I know there is a little bit of a language barrier, but I understand what you mean about looking from a distance. It brings the painting into more of a clear image than when you see all of the brush strokes and marks up close.

So yes, it would look 'better' when you see it across the room.

I think it's a nice looking piece, personally.

SSlava likes this.
  4. SSlava

SSlava Well-Known Member

Hmm, why exactly the first half of the 20th century))?

Well, the seller also did not exactly date it, according to his assumption and the assumption of a restorer friend, as I understood it was the end of the 19th or the beginning of the 20th century.

But there may be an earlier work)).

5. SSlava

SSlava Well-Known Member

IMG-20180909-WA0001.jpg
    So the front surface of the picture was also old, the image was poorly visible)).

Where does the new picture have a layer of black lacquer and layers of later painting (that is, traces of inept restoration, when they could not remove the varnish)?

After cleaning and coating with a new varnish, yes, the picture looked "new"))

6. Jivvy

Sure, I can expand to include the late 19th. As I stated earlier, "I cannot give you a date."

But I find the application of the paint improbable for much earlier.

I'm unclear what information you're looking for here. It seems the reseller and restorer friend gave you a good bit of information.

SSlava likes this.
  7. SSlava

SSlava Well-Known Member

Well, I just had the thought that this is the work of a foreign artist from Europe, I thought they could decipher the signature)).

I'm still in doubt, is it our job, or a foreign one))? In Europe, they wrote such pictures?

By the way, I saw live pictures of Aivazovsky.

At us in a city museum there are these pictures in the size 2 on two meters.

There is some airiness, the translucence of the colors of his paintings.

By the way, my picture also has some such effect. Although certainly less than that of Aivazovsky)).

But the picture looks good. I think how the interior work for $ 100 just fine))?

Last edited: Sep 10, 2018
  8. SSlava

SSlava Well-Known Member

By the way, Aivazovsky took the techniques of writing paintings from European artists of the early 19th century.

Is there something similar in Europe?

9. Jivvy

I would guess that any country with a navy had artists painting ships. ;)

anundverkaufen and SSlava like this.
  10. SSlava

SSlava Well-Known Member

Yes, but the style is different, is not it? Stylistics of the 17th century I think will differ from the stylistics of the 19th century.

Well in the 19th century, many paintings of European artists were brought to Russia.

I've often seen pictures on the forums similar to this one, with the fake signature of Aivazovsky.

Pictures of these European origin of the 19th century.

But no one believes in such signatures)). Except perhaps that stupid people. The real picture of Aivazovsky costs from 100 thousand dollars and is more expensive. I've seen the last auctions, they were selling somewhere for 1-4 million dollars (but these are large canvases).

A no-known artist of the 19th century in the style of Aivazovsky is worth $ 100-500)).

11. Jivvy

I'm pretty sure I've run out of anything intelligent to add here.

Possibly, several messages ago. :hilarious:

judy, all_fakes and SSlava like this.
  12. sabre123

I'd put that painting in a nice frame and hang on your wall. Be a nice conversation piece.

judy, Jivvy and SSlava like this.
  13. SSlava

SSlava Well-Known Member

That is, judging by the paint, you think that the picture was written much before the end of the 19th century))?

Well, it could well be. Well, here's a controversial issue. But most likely it is almost certainly an old-fashioned picture (more than 100 years).

And how old it is, it's not entirely clear)).

14. SSlava

SSlava Well-Known Member

AA, on the contrary))?
    And what's wrong with the paint?

The paint looks quite old. Especially since the picture has darkened with time.

Why such a paint could not have been used before?
    I also saw pictures of the 18th century or even 17 such paint)).

Or I'm wrong? Well, it's hard to say anything about style.
    Well, in any case, in the museum, I saw old paintings, brushed, the colors are very bright and saturated)).

And before the restoration, as befits the old painting, the colors were very dim, and even some details in the picture were not visible, judging by the photo)).

Last edited: Sep 10, 2018
  15. SSlava

SSlava Well-Known Member

And it is very strange that in the picture for such a short period of time there would be overpainting?

16. SSlava

SSlava Well-Known Member

By the way, if I'm not mistaken, the wooden basis of the picture of the middle of the 19th century, or even earlier. Exactly the same boards I saw in paintings of this time (usually Dutch or Belgian, sometimes English).

But you assume that someone painted a picture on an old board))?
    But the painting before the clearing, too, looked old)).

17. SSlava

SSlava Well-Known Member

Here is a picture at a farther distance, what do you say))?

By the way, several prominent smears on the front wave are the remains of theoverpainting .

But the restorer did not dare to remove these overpainting.

[​IMG]

18. rink28

rink28 Well-Known Member

It's a nice painting but I wouldn't worry about it too much. The painting itself isnt exactly in great condition after being restored. Even if it is by someone known the value of it will be decreased cause of its condition. There are a lot of ships and sea paintings that were done in the 20th century. Who exactly the artist is a mystery but if your willing to take the time and money for further research is totally up to you but I believe there is not much more information we can provide.

judy, Jivvy and SSlava like this.
  19. Jeff Drum

Jeff Drum Well-Known Member

Please give the size. And have you looked at it with a black light (used to check for new/old paint)? I don't think it looks like new paint, but it is a good first check to make.

judy and SSlava like this.
  20. SSlava

SSlava Well-Known Member

The size of the picture is 56 centimeters by 40 centimeters, the thickness of the board is 1 centimeter.

And what does "black paint" mean?))

Draft saved Draft deleted