Featured Seagreen and Sapphire Teardrop Vase

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Rclinftl, Feb 17, 2024.

1. Rclinftl

Rclinftl Well-Known Member

TT.jpg TT1.jpg TTT.jpg TTT1.jpg every effort I made keeps bringing me back to Whitefriars by Powell & Hogan - one hit on something similar by Blenko - it’s a real beauty - really pops - getting nowhere with the signature - can’t make heads or tails out of it - appreciate any insights - measures 4 3/4” tall X 3 1/4” mouth opening

lovewrens, judy, komokwa and 3 others like this.
  2. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

Ben 76 ? Very pretty vase.

judy, Rclinftl, Bronwen and 1 other person like this.
  3. Marote

Marote Well-Known Member

4. Roaring20s

Roaring20s Well-Known Member

5. Rclinftl

yeah - but no sapphire... this same color is being used in contemporary glass but called "seagreen" from what I have found and coupled with the sapphire by Blenko and Whitefriars - I was hoping the signature would lead to a specific artist/company WHITE2.jpg white.jpg TTTTTT.JPG TTTTTT.JPG

6. Finnclouds

Finnclouds Well-Known Member

Last edited: Feb 18, 2024
  7. Rclinftl

yes - I am following and agreeing that mine is not an original design - I know that this basic designed was used by others in the late 19th century by the likes of Stevens & Williams - and that for 59 euro which I think is about 75 dollars you can buy a brand new one right now - I am just trying to see where the signature might lead me - that it may have been a piece made by a desirable company during the 70’s or something - I guess I will have to go with current German/Czech production if nothing pans out…

komokwa, LauraGarnet02 and judy like this.
  8. Finnclouds

I just thought it was interesting that there is an original from the 15th C in a museum — the site I linked to sells copies of originals to museums etc. You obviously have a good eye for enduring design.

Marote, LauraGarnet02 and judy like this.
  9. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Often called peacock feather trails.

10. lovewrens

lovewrens Well-Known Member

Signature looks like Bentle to me.

LauraGarnet02 likes this.
  11. Finnclouds

I apologize in advance if this is a stupid question — I’m totally out of my depth here — but to me, the vase Rcflintftl is asking about looks very similar, if not exactly the same, as the one sold as a copy of a museum piece in Pilsen: it has the blue rim and even the bottoms look alike. The shape and bottom of the ones for sale in NL look very alike too. (Mouthblown into a mold?)

Would a famous/desirable glassblowing company had copied a well-known pattern/ museum piece so closely, instead of designing their own version of it? Like the ones in Rcflintftl’s other pictures?

12. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Absolutely, they would, it’s common.

Finnclouds likes this.
  13. Finnclouds

Thanks, Owned!
    I knew styles were and are copied extensively in pretty much everything, but couldn’t really see the point of exactly reproducing something like this vase, unless there was a monetary incentive. Like there is in e.g. faking Russian silver or designer clothes in order to deceive the buyer into believing the item was way older or more valuable or better quality than it is.

So when might the vase have been made? Exact 19th C replica?
    I would’ve thought the seventies unlikely. Being modern and innovative was such a big thing in MMC glass in Finland, at least, that copying known old forms would’ve been unlikely. Not knowing anything about old glass, I would’ve therefore started by looking for the maker in places where the modern copies are made.

P.S. I hope the Bear is still going strong.

Draft saved Draft deleted