Seaport May be reversed miniature on glass painting Help with signature please

Discussion in 'Art' started by Mugzinnys, Jan 16, 2018.

1. Mugzinnys

Mugzinnys Well-Known Member

This one took a lot of work and time I presume to complete. Help with signature. looks like Sile? 20180114_173531.jpg 20180114_173540.jpg 20180114_173545.jpg 20180114_173558.jpg 20180114_173627.jpg 20180114_173637.jpg

Any Jewelry likes this.
  2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Sileu? Bari (Italy) has a special dialect, with Albanian and Greek influences, so the name could be un-Italian.
    Port of Bari:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. Mugzinnys

Seems like the area has change significantly since the painting was done

Christmasjoy and judy like this.
  4. Any Jewelry

Looks like it. It is a very busy port, the gateway to the eastern Mediterranean.
    The painting could be 60s-70s, with that mat and frame, but others may know more about that.
    I keep thinking silk painting behind glass, but I may be way off.

5. Any Jewelry

Just noticed, the label says jeweller and watchmaker. Maybe it is enameled on metal behind the glass?

Christmasjoy, Bronwen and judy like this.
  6. Mugzinnys

Any Jewelry I do not have the painting with me at the moment. Will take a better look this evening. Silk, I will look closer and try to get some better images. Thanks for your insight.
    mervin

7. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

AJ has already said everything I was going to say, & more. Think label says Mar di Bari/Il Porto, the sea of Bari/the port. Both the one photo & the piece under discussion really showcase the beautiful aquamarine of the water. Had also been going to note that appears to have been sold at a high end establishment (not sure if the same one; in business since 1997) so treated as a gem rather than as just something to put on your wall. I can't do any better with the signature, nor tell whether the squiggle below it has meaning or just a flourish.

[Addendum] It interests me that the label/title framed below the picture is handwritten. Makes me think artist's own writing.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2018
    judy and Christmasjoy like this.
  8. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Silese? I'd call it souvenir art, but it seems to be a high quality example of it. From here it looks like the black lines were printed on and the colors added later by hand by whatever technique. I have a piece here done that way from a university; the black was printed on the reverse of the glass and the color added later.

9. Mugzinnys

AJ I took another at painting at its location and it seem like some of the painting was done on the front of the glass as mentioned by evelyb30. There seems to be raised areas. Also as mentioned by Bronwen those squiggles seem to be a reflection off the glass or plexi-glass. I love the high quality of the frame and painting it warms me that you guy like it too.
    Thanks Everyone

10. Bronwen

Yep, now you say it, it becomes obvious. Good, one mystery dispensed with. Do you think the work on the front may have been done with enamel rather than anything we usually think of as paint? You mentioned it is raised.

11. Mugzinnys

To me It looks like the raised areas are spots that were not smoothed out by the brush. Perhaps like a bubble that has popped and sunken or a lumps in the paint. Also the paint seems to contain a very, very fine glitter like substance. I am not sure if the paint is enamel or oil based.

12. Bronwen

Does it actually sparkle?

Christmasjoy likes this.
  13. Mugzinnys

That's a tough question I will try to answer that question tomorrow. I do not have it with me tonight. I will try to take some better images tomorrow, and take an even closer look.

14. Mugzinnys

AJ Bronwen and Evelyb30 It does not sparkle like a diamond but it sort of glitters.I took the back off and now I am more confused than ever here are images of the back of the painting's 20180117_190135.jpg 20180117_190146.jpg 20180117_190153.jpg 20180117_190209.jpg 20180117_190222.jpg 20180117_190236.jpg complex 20180117_190135.jpg 20180117_190146.jpg 20180117_190153.jpg 20180117_190209.jpg 20180117_190222.jpg 20180117_190236.jpg construction

Last edited: Jan 17, 2018
  15. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

I missed this thread earlier. Nice picture! But it seems odd that the frame cuts off the beginning of the signature. That seems like an odd thing to happen with a high-end item. It does appear that the first letter is probably an "S" but it could be an oddly formed version of another letter such as "F" , for example. We've talked many times here about how hard it is to read some artists' signatures!

Anyway, I am going to guess that the signature didn't matter so much or they would have framed it differently.

16. Mugzinnys

Thanks Figtree3 I am afraid to remove any thing else from the rear of the painting, for fear of causing permanent damage to the piece. I am still a bit confused about the method used to construct this piece, even more confused after opening the rear.

judy, Christmasjoy and Figtree3 like this.
  17. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

I agree that you shouldn't try to remove anything!

18. Mugzinnys

I like to know if anyone from the forum would like to help me sell this high end painting. l have sent it toa few auction houses without any luck. l am new to selling art and inexperenced. Just being honest. if so lets talk message me

judy likes this.
  19. Any Jewelry

Since you are "Currently Morphing From Dinnerware to Fine Art", you might consider starting your own a shop on Etsy. Etsy is for artists and craftspeople as well as people who sell vintage and antique items.
    Starting a shop doesn't cost anything, you pay something like 20 cents for every listing or listing renewal, and a small percentage of the sale. For the rest you have control over your listings, as long as you stick to Etsy policy.
    It is ok to start with just one listing, there is no pressure. More listings attract more attention, of course.
    We have a shop on Etsy as well, as do some others on the forum. This is ours, no fine art, but just so you get an idea:
    https://www.etsy.com/shop/samarkandrose

judy likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted