Featured Secretarys chest please help

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by Justmetaraleigh, Jan 13, 2022.

1. Justmetaraleigh

Justmetaraleigh New Member

Does anyone know anything about this? Maybe how old it is? Where it could be from? We know nothing except it's been passed down in the family for generations..but no markings that we can find???? Thank you for any type of help!!!!

Attached Files:

FishLure, Firemandk and Lark like this.
  2. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

Oh how pretty ! Id guess its around 1900 or so.Fancier than most versions youy see,*might* be European .

3. Justmetaraleigh

Thank you sooo much!!!

Ghopper1924 likes this.
  4. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Do you know where the earlier generations in the family lived?

Ghopper1924 likes this.
  5. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Agree with most of the above..... circa 1900, oak, but American. The metal details are not common but not unheard of.

Ghopper1924 and johnnycb09 like this.
  6. Justmetaraleigh

No :( I'll have to check with my mom see if she remembers... Thank you for responding!

Ghopper1924 likes this.
  7. Justmetaraleigh

Thanks for responding!! Any idea maybe what it would be worth or where I could go to find out?? I love it and am keeping it but just curious. :) I have a couple other items too would I go to antique store to get some info maybe?? Thanks so much for any help!!!!!!

Ghopper1924 likes this.
  8. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Value is really dependent on where and how selling. Prices are currently the lowest they have been in decades so keeping it would be wise. Here in my semi-rural Midwest location, under $250.00 at retail. Maybe a bit higher in or near a big city. An insurance value would be up to $500.00 (taking in to account some probable future appreciation).

Ghopper1924 and komokwa like this.
  9. Ghopper1924

Ghopper1924 Well-Known Member

The metal accents are reminiscent of picturesque English motifs and even the "modern Gothic" of Kimball & Cabus. Verybrad is right about value, but then again I don't live all that far from him if you're thinking globally :) Definitely keep it, as you're unlikely to ever see another one just like it.

pearlsnblume and Fern77 like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted