Featured Seeking information: Gustav Stickley/Craftsman

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by Frank, Oct 9, 2019.

1. scoutshouse

scoutshouse Well-Known Member

Neat, @Frank

Have you had it for a while?

2. scoutshouse

scoutshouse Well-Known Member

Als Ik Kan—”to the best of my ability.”

James Conrad likes this.
  3. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

4. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Delete - (Duplicate post)

scoutshouse and judy like this.
  5. James Conrad

James Conrad Well-Known Member

Wink found it! I was a bit surprised to see rotary cut & not quarter sawn oak for a period Stickley piece, also the price for another example with chair at $650. seems low although chair seat caning was damaged.

6. DragonflyWink

DragonflyWink Well-Known Member

Eh, just a fast hit and run - very quick image search for 'Stickley drop leaf desk'.

Kind of nice to see 'Wink' - used to be one of my nicknames, but haven't heard it in several years...

~Cheryl

7. James Conrad

James Conrad Well-Known Member

MUCH EASIER to type "Wink" rather than that full handle, especially for those of us that do not type! :p

8. DragonflyWink

DragonflyWink Well-Known Member

My last name has 'Wink' in it, my ex's last name has 'Dink', and we've both often been called the short version and various other variants, with the pairing making it even more fun (he used to tell people we met at 'Last Names Anonymous') - we ended up with a fondness for 'Winky Dink', even using it for our shared first eBay ID...

~Cheryl

BoudiccaJones, judy, Figtree3 and 6 others like this.
  9. Yes, that label is from their 1912-1916 period. I also found one that sold on LiveAuctioneers in 2010 for $1600 (desk only, no chair).

10. Frank

Frank Well-Known Member

Yes, I've had it now for about 20 years. I found it in the attic of a summer house my grandparents bought in the 1920's

judy, Figtree3, Michael77 and 3 others like this.
  11. Frank

Frank Well-Known Member

Wow!! I had no idea it was potentially that valuable. No plans to sell, though.

scoutshouse and DragonflyWink like this.
  12. Frank

Frank Well-Known Member

Thank you, everyone, for your help!

13. Mission Haven

Mission Haven New Member

It is period. It doesn't look like it's quartersawn oak because it's not - it's chestnut. And the Stickley company still in business makes some reproductions of the old designs but they're not the same as the originals and are clearly labeled as modern pieces.

14. Mission Haven

Mission Haven New Member

It was made by Gustav Stickley/Craftsman Workshops between 1912 and 1916, according to the label. It doesn't look like it's quartersawn oak because it's not - it's chestnut. And the Stickley company still in business makes some reproductions of the old designs but they're not the same as the originals and are clearly labeled as modern pieces. Your desk appears to have all its original hardware, which is cool!

15. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

thank you for confirming what we already knew..

Frank, BoudiccaJones and Ghopper1924 like this.
  16. Northern Lights Lodge

Northern Lights Lodge Well-Known Member

What a cool little piece!

KikoBlueEyes likes this.
  17. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

Thanks for sharing your knowledge about this piece. We don't have a lot of Mission furniture experts, so you are much needed here to help. I found your information about chestnut was particularly interesting. It is always good for a member to get a lot of opinions about a piece.

Frank, Firemandk and quirkygirl like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted