Featured Separating glued sheets of paper

Discussion in 'Art' started by Pat P, Apr 28, 2019.

1. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

I have original late 19th century sketches on paper that are glued to another sheet of paper that was probably originally in a notebook. Some of these sketches are back to back with the notebook paper in the middle, some are only one-sided.

I'd love to separate the pages from the notebook paper. In the past, I've soaked 19th century scrapbook pages in lukewarm water to loosen the contents, but these sketches were drawn/painted with what appears to be both water-based paint and pastels. So water is a no-no.

I don't know when the sketches were glued to the backing paper, so have no clue what kind of glue was used.

Do you think using a hair dryer might work to loosen the glue or could it possibly mess up the art work and/or make the paper too fragile? Does anyone have any other suggestions? Thanks for any thoughts...

judy, Christmasjoy and pearlsnblume like this.
  2. terry5732

terry5732 Well-Known Member

Heat would not likely help. Steam may work without ruining the paint - maybe. Put in the micro with a cup of water.

judy likes this.
  3. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

Without positively identifying the adhesive and the medium of the artwork there is no way to suggest safe ways to remove it. Heat may actually make some adhesives harder to remove. Best leave these alone, or seek professional advice from a local conservator who can take a look at them.

kyratango, judy, scoutshouse and 3 others like this.
  4. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

I'd be nervous about using steam... don't want the paint to run or soak into the back since it could go through to the sketch on the other side of the sandwich paper. Plus I don't want to make the paper wavy.

Good point about heat possibly having a negative impact on the glue.

What do conservators usually charge? I'm planning on selling the sketches so would have to weigh the cost against whatever the sketches are likely to bring.

kyratango, judy, scoutshouse and 3 others like this.
  5. Jivvy

Jivvy the research is my favorite

Firstly, I'm in totagreement with @2manybooks and am certain you should ignore what I'm about to say.

Depending on the thickness of the paper the pieces are glued to, I would investigate if that paper could be pulled apart.

It's a terrible idea.

kyratango, judy, sabre123 and 5 others like this.
  6. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

LOL :)

I can't picture how that would work?

7. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

As with any skilled work it varies with the location and the individual. AIC (the American Institute for Conservation) has a search feature to help locate a conservator: https://www.culturalheritage.org/membership/find-a-conservator .
    Unless the sketches are by an important artist or otherwise exceptional, the cost would probably be more than you would want to invest. But they might be able to identify the adhesive and medium with a simple examination, and then should be able to give you an estimate.

:hilarious: Yes, probably a terrible idea. Sometimes if the substrate is strong enough, and the glue weak enough, you can pull things apart. Or gently work the layers apart with a small spatula. But things can be going along fine and then, oops! there is a rip and a hole. :arghh:

kyratango, antidiem, Pat P and 2 others like this.
  8. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

E4AF2390-0952-4B02-8D00-934E533E2503.jpeg Double sided frames?

kyratango, judy, antidiem and 3 others like this.
  9. scoutshouse

scoutshouse Well-Known Member

Is it actually glue, or
    @Pat P?

Oops, sorry - I see you don't know?

Maybe try a leaving them in the sun, or use a very low heat iron through another layer of paper gingerly?

Last edited: Apr 28, 2019
    judy, Pat P and i need help like this.
  10. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

Thanks for the link. The Northeast Document Conservation Center in Andover, MA, isn't far from me so I'll probably give them a call. I was surprised that there are other conservators not all that far from me, as well.

The sketches are costume designs for an opera by a well known British designer and they're signed and dated. Some of his sketches are held by the Victoria & Albert Museum in London, and I've seen auction results for some of his work. The prices aren't terribly high, but high enough that I don't want to risk damaging them. Plus I hate the idea of destroying lovely pieces of the past. I have no idea how much the back to back aspect will pull prices down.

Re using a spatula... I suspect I would end up with a tear! :jawdrop:

kyratango, judy and 2manybooks like this.
  11. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

It is glue, but I don't know what type. I can't even go by the age of the sketches since they might have been glued to the notebook at a later date.

I think 2manybooks caution about heat making the glue even harder to remove was wise. I also am wary of making the paper more fragile or discoloring it, so don't think I'll try any type of heat on it myself.

Fid, judy and 2manybooks like this.
  12. Jivvy

Jivvy the research is my favorite

Yes, exactly. :hilarious:

2manybooks and Pat P like this.
  13. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

Nice idea though I'm not sure if it would work for these pieces. The back to back sketches aren't lined up very well, and the not so attractive notebook paper shows.

Assuming I can't get them apart, I think I'll leave it up to the eventual new owner to figure out what to do with them!

judy, 2manybooks and i need help like this.
  14. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

I was going to suggest an art museum for advice or a nearby conservator, but I see you've already gotten that advice......IF you go, and IF you DO HAVE success, or even NOT, could you fill us on the results???? I'm sure we'd ALL LOVE to KNOW!!!!! THANKS!!!

15. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

Sure. :)

judy likes this.
  16. scoutshouse

So, no reason to attempt on your own at all :)

Whats the artist's name?

judy likes this.
  17. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

William Charles John Pitcher, better known as "Wilhelm." Looking at other sketches of his that are viewable on the web, I don't think mine are his best work or in the best condition, but they're among the earliest. His career spanned from 1877 to 1925 and my sketches are from 1881.

It makes sense to me that they would have been pasted into a book since they were working sketches for an actual production.

18. scoutshouse

19. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

Ok, I know this is not the same, but I read that a sealed envelope can be opened by putting it into the freezer. Not sure if it works or not, not sure 1881 sketches should be frozen! So, yeah, just ignore me too. I've never tried it on an envelope!

Fid, judy, Pat P and 2 others like this.
  20. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

Oh, those are nice, Scout. :)

Here's one of mine...

upload_2019-4-29_0-45-16.png

Draft saved Draft deleted