Featured Serape? Not sure where this weaving comes from - help!

Discussion in 'Textiles, Needle Arts, Clothing' started by blooey, Oct 15, 2020.

1. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

Hi, this dark green wool weaving came my way today and as far as I can tell it's hand woven. It measures roughly 74" x 38".

The striped design elements are "stepped" i.e. open like a killim, with the coloured threads wrapped around the warp thread but not joined to he next colour horizontally so there are sort of "gaps" - Hope that describes it!

The colours look sort of 1980's to me but that's just a guess. Any help gratefully received!

srpwhl.jpg
    srpend.jpg

sdet2.jpg

sdet1.jpg

Thanks!

2. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

It could be described as a twill, with slit weave patterns. It looks like it might be machine woven. Can you tell what the fiber is?
    A serape would have a hole in the center for the wearer's head. Probably just a wrap of some sort.

3. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

It is finely spun wool, both warp and weft.
    If you enlarge the picture of the design, it really doesn't appear to be machine woven?

4. 2manybooks

Does it look the same on both sides? Can you please post a closeup of a corner, including fringe and selvage?
    You are probably right about being handwoven, as I don't know how slit woven patterns could be machine done.

5. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

It is the same on both sides, apart from more evidence of the knotting at the ends of each colour section. I'll get a pic of the corner and the back of the design element in a few.

6. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

7. 2manybooks

It may just be an artisan weaver's work. I don't recognize it as any particular ethnicity. But someone else might.

8. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

Thanks for taking a look. The small "S" devices dispersed in the main field ring a bell, but I have a lot of bells and can't locate that distant chime as yet!

2manybooks likes this.
  9. patd8643

patd8643 Well-Known Member

blooey likes this.
  10. April07

April07 Well-Known Member

I see it as zapotec-ish.
    Sarape doesn't have hole as far as I know; jorongo and poncho do

Last edited: Nov 20, 2020
  11. April07

April07 Well-Known Member

Spam reported

Any Jewelry and komokwa like this.
  12. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

well at least I know where NOT to get my Heroin !!!!

Draft saved Draft deleted