Featured Sergio Agostini signed print.

Discussion in 'Art' started by Number 47, May 28, 2019.

1. Number 47

Number 47 Active Member

Hi, fell in love with this the moment I saw it on the wall of a charity shop. I have learned quite a bit about the artist. Born 1921 in Italy, was in the Italian army during WW2 then became recognised slowly before going on to exhibit globally. I beleive he is still alive. He released a book of his paintings in 1964. Have seen his originals going for 4 figures and his prints for mid to low three figures.

He is best known for painting pictures with black crescent suns, these are mostly what I find online. He is also known for people holding umbrellas, figures in unnatural poses, infinity horizons and vertical brushstrokes.

I love this picture, it has pride of place in the lounge but I don't know what it is called. Would really love to know more about it if anyone can help. Thanks. (Sorry about the poor pics through glass, I'm not inclined to take it out of the frame)

P1020111.JPG P1020112.JPG P1020113.JPG

2. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

I looked for Sergio Agostini + 'pig roast', 'festival' & 'fair' without success. :(

scoutshouse and i need help like this.
  3. Number 47

Number 47 Active Member

I'm tempted to buy his book but they are all signed and numbered first editions so quite expensive. Also, no guarantee this will be in it as it was published in '64.

kyratango, scoutshouse and Bronwen like this.
  4. Bronwen

Is this

upload_2019-5-28_21-28-40.png

why you like this?
    upload_2019-5-28_21-29-8.png

5. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

He did a print titled "Country Festival." Perhaps that's it.

Debora

6. Bronwen

Would certainly fit my interpretation of the scene. Compared to other works I saw, seems to be unusual in having so many human figures.

kyratango and i need help like this.
  7. scoutshouse

scoutshouse Well-Known Member

8. scoutshouse

Not a comp, just a fun fact :)

Bronwen and i need help like this.
  9. Number 47

Number 47 Active Member

:D

My profile pic is one of those things I fell in love with but can't ID. I suspect it is an Edward Waites miniature as it looks his style but I can't be sure.
    I didn't even notice the pig in the print at first, just the vibrant colours and the amazing textures of the brushstrokes. I didn't have enough money to buy it on the day but it was so cheap I was outside the shop at opening time the next day with cash in hand.

10. scoutshouse

"I hope you and your customers will come to see art as the furniture of the eye, and of the mind."

I knew about Price's role as curator for Sears, but never saw this video. So interesting to see the care taken to ease salespeople who possibly never imagined they'd be selling art, to people who'd never considered buying it!

Number 47 and i need help like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted