Featured Series of Photos from 1860s to 1990s of historical interest.

Discussion in 'Ephemera and Photographs' started by Ladybranch, Feb 27, 2016.

1. Ladybranch

Ladybranch Well-Known Member

2. silverthwait

silverthwait Well-Known Member

There is an advantage to being old enough to have a context for a good deal of that. I had never seen the Mussolini photo before; nearly blew me across the room!

KingofThings and Ladybranch like this.
  3. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Thanks for posting this, Susan! Amazing. Never thought I would see Albert Einstein in bathing trunks! :p

KingofThings and Ladybranch like this.
  4. Ladybranch

Ladybranch Well-Known Member

Yes and no as to being an advantage of being old enough to remember... As I was working through the pages, my age stood out. I bet I could remember the people/events of way too many of these pics without looking at the captions.:( Nowwwww, before anyone gets too curious, I wasn't around for anything before the early 1940s. BTW, there are at least 3 more pages of these pics. The links to the other pages are at the bottom of the pages. The links:

http://www.slightlywarped.com/crapfactory/curiosities/2013/may/hidden_rare_historical_photos.htm
    http://www.slightlywarped.com/crapf...3/june/rare_and_amazing_historical_photos.htm
    http://www.slightlywarped.com/crapf...august/even_more_rare_historical_pictures.htm

Do you mean the pic of his face on the front of the fascist headquarters in Rome or is there another pic of him on one of the other pages? It screams "Big Brother" from Orson Wells' Nineteen Eighty-Four. Here's a little on that fascist headquarters building:
    http://www.danielruss.com/blog/imag...-fascist-party-during-the-reign-of-mussolini/

I had a good laugh over that pic also. If one wasn't familiar with Al's character, one would think he liked the boys from that pic. He was anything but gay. He had mistresses. He was married at least 2 times. While married to his first wife, his first cousin became his lover. After divorcing his wife he married the cousin and within a few years had another mistress. All this and more was revealed not that long ago from his letters and papers released by Princeton University Press, etc...

--- Susan

KingofThings likes this.
  5. yourturntoloveit

yourturntoloveit Well-Known Member

Ladybranch, thank you so much for posting all of those photos. I (and DH) looked at (and commented on) all of them. ;)

KingofThings likes this.
  6. GaleriaGila

GaleriaGila Hola, y'all!

Ronald McDonald was really a weatherman!?

Fabulous stuff, thanks!

7. yourturntoloveit

yourturntoloveit Well-Known Member

KingofThings likes this.
  8. GaleriaGila

GaleriaGila Hola, y'all!

Thanks, YourTurn... wow... I just love him... and I love Mickey-D (guilty pleasure... their fries and shakes!) and Ronald... had no idea Willard was the original!!!

9. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

Or women's shoes!
    Those look like they would be in style today.

10. scoutshouse

scoutshouse Well-Known Member

Now, that's a perfect example of a gruesome clown shot! he looks like he had a cadaver hand! Oh, wait - no, it's a bag of french fries!

Screen Shot 2016-02-27 at 6.38.04 PM.png

never mind :)

11. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

That was great to peruse through!!! Thanks for posting the links, Susan!!!

12. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

Really enjoyed these. Thanks.

13. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

I think some one of the 'guys' just posted that link in the past week....... and they were terrific.....!!!!!

Draft saved Draft deleted