Several "Asian" rugs?

Discussion in 'Textiles, Needle Arts, Clothing' started by Rxwoman, Oct 27, 2018.

1. Rxwoman

Rxwoman Member

Hi,
    my late mother in law and grandmother in law loved to collect Asian or Persian rugs. I know the bigger ones are made of wool. The smaller one with blue dragons I was told was probably cotton processed to make it look like silk. Well I did the burn test with some of it's fibers ( 5 times!) and it smelled like burnt hair, so silk, right?
    The two larger ones have a couple of tiny spots where moths found them, otherwise they are in fairly good condition considering how old they are.
    Anyone know anything about hand 20181025_132150.jpeg 20181025_132310.jpeg 20181025_132257.jpeg 20181025_132808.jpeg 20181025_132729.jpg 20181025_140005.jpg 20181025_140229.jpeg made rugs?
    Thank you.

judy and Christmasjoy like this.
  2. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

First one is Chinese.

judy, Christmasjoy and i need help like this.
  3. Bakersgma

I'm very confused about the second one. Only one end with fringe? And those additional strips on the left that don't appear on the right? Is the third picture the same rug as number 2?

Christmasjoy and i need help like this.
  4. bobsyouruncle

bobsyouruncle Well-Known Member

how many rugs in total? and which one has the close up please

5. Bakersgma

We need a better picture of the rug in the last 2 pictures Better lighting and a picture that contains the entire rug (including fringe if any.)

6. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

The first one with the blue dragons is Chinese, as @Bakersgma said. From the photo of the back, it looks to be fairly recent and machine made (not hand knotted). It is probably wool, rather than silk. Wool would also smell like burnt hair.
    I agree that better photos are needed of the others, including a closeup of the back.

7. Rxwoman

Rxwoman Member

3 rugs. The first 3 pics are of the Chinese one. The second rug does only have fringe on one end ( I don't know why). The last rug has fringe on both ends. I had better pictures of both last two rugs, close-ups, and the back. For some reason when I try to upload them the system tells me they are too large. The problem is after taking those pictures and brushing the dust off of one ( stored under the bed) my husband and I decided to store them better. So they are both now rolled and taped onto cardboard cylinders.

bobsyouruncle, judy and Christmasjoy like this.
  8. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Files have to be under 1MB. You don't need to get out the rugs, you need to reduce the size of your files.

9. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

#2 maybe meant to go in an entryway so that 3 sides would be in contact with walls & perhaps a step?

10. Rxwoman

Rxwoman Member

Wow, wool? I have to know what kind of sheep these were because it's the softest 20181027_161654.jpeg 20181027_161725.jpeg 20181027_161725.jpeg , silkiest wool I've ever felt!

11. Rxwoman

Rxwoman Member

Oh, thank you. Lemme see if I can figure out how to do that.

12. Rxwoman

Rxwoman Member

A close up of the back of the one with fringe on both ends, and a close up of the design. 20181025_140107 - Edited.jpg 20181025_140146 - Edited.jpg

13. Bakersgma

Ok - That one is handknotted. Note that on the underside, the design seen on the front is replicated on the back and is not interrupted by the white "threads" you see on the back of the Chinese one. The style is called Bokhara.

14. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

rugs are hard to tell the yarn in photo's.
    My silk Chinese....

compare them to yours....

IMG_0238.jpeg IMG_0242.jpeg IMG_0240.jpeg IMG_0244.jpeg

15. 2manybooks

Looks like a fairly contemporary Pakistani Bokhara, like this:
    [​IMG]
    https://www.rugvista.com/carpet/pakistan-bokhara-2ply?
    artno=RZZAF675&country=40&loc=USA&valuta=USD&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIz-GF3eqn3gIVkoCfCh2UdA0KEAQYBCABEgJpu_D_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

16. patd8643

patd8643 Well-Known Member

The one with the fringe on one side may have been used on a camel when riding - or other animal. Some saddle bags were made like this so they could flap over.
    Patd

17. 2manybooks

18. Bakersgma

We haven't been given dimensions, so it's hard to say, but it's bigger than the Chinese rug (she called that one small as compared to the others in the OP.)

judy likes this.
  19. Rxwoman

Rxwoman Member

komokwa likes this.
  20. Rxwoman

Rxwoman Member

Is this how it should look? 20181027_180534.jpg

judy likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted