Several "Asian" rugs?

Discussion in 'Textiles, Needle Arts, Clothing' started by Rxwoman, Oct 27, 2018.

1. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

i believe yours to be silk....also. Mine are.

Rxwoman and judy like this.
  2. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

I bought a used handmade Kashan rug recently with one fringed end and one end not. It is large but an odd size, so it is not intended to be wall to wall unless they have different room sizes in Iran. When I took it to an Oriental carpet business to get it cleaned, the owner told me that one end was where the loom was and it was a decorative choice to leave this one unfringed. My thought was to get the other end fringed to match, but he was adamant that I should leave it as is. Since this meant he would lose the profit from the work from adding fringe, I believed that this was true. I don't know anything about rugs, so this is purely anecdotal but it might explain why one edge was fringed on your rug and one was not.

silverthwait, komokwa and judy like this.
  3. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    I have a wonderful old rug that had no fringe. My other half took the rug to the cleaners and the owner talked her into sewing on fringe on two sides. The rug looks like HELL now. I mean the rug is wool and has cotton fringe sewn on. it was nice since the cats left the rug alone until the fringe appeared and now they will not leave it alone. 20 times a day I have to sweep the fringe to make it look presentable. I bought all of my rugs without fringe. I liked the Edwardian look. I hate the fringe and it's problems.:eek::eek::eek::eek:
    greg

4. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

I have an old rug from my folks that has new fringes professionally added over the old degraded ones .....it made the difference so that now it looks quite presentable...

Draft saved Draft deleted