Featured Sevres French Porcelain "FOUR SEASON" bronze plinth date mark 1771

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Jimboweee, Dec 10, 2018.

1. Jimboweee

Jimboweee New Member

Hi, just found this great piece. Depicts the "FOUR SEASONS" Sevres Porcelain with date letter "S" which dates to 1771. Bronze plinth/base with figures securely in place, they measures aprox 5" tall. Not being an expert on this type of item, and having exhausted my own research, thought I would share with you all. It is exquisitely detailed and in amazing condition, I could find no damage. DSCN9164.JPG DSCN9141.JPG DSCN9147.JPG DSCN9149.jpg DSCN9127.jpg DSCN9142.JPG DSCN9135.jpg DSCN9153.JPG Please let me know what you think.
    Thanks
    Jim DSCN9164.JPG DSCN9141.JPG DSCN9147.JPG DSCN9149.jpg

Attached Files:

2. Jimboweee

Jimboweee New Member

you can see "1771" in one of the pics...It is lightly written in pencil

i need help likes this.
  3. Christmasjoy

Christmasjoy Well-Known Member

I think it is GORGEOUS !!! ... Joy.

4. judy

judy Well-Known Member

Hi Jimboweee!

Welcome to Antiquers!

It is Gorgeous!

It looks good to me, but those in the know shall be along..........

Christmasjoy and i need help like this.
  5. janetpjohn

janetpjohn Well-Known Member

I think it's probably from China. You do see that the letter S is backwards on some of them?

6. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

First let me say I love this!

Then the question about authenticity creeps in as the Sevres mark is one of the most faked ones out there. So ignoring the mark the question is, did Sevres make these figures?

In doing a short look online (I don't have good Sevres reference material) I'm not seeing these poses so far attributed to Sevres. I did find what I think are the same poses (not as nicely painted) on square bases represented as KPM Berlin though show no mark. That makes me wonder why they'd call them KPM if they carried a Sevres mark.

Anyway, here is that auction.
    https://www.liveauctioneers.com/item/56965048_allegories-of-the-four-seasons-kpm-berlin-around
    [​IMG]

And from another listing of their's showing the backs.
    https://www.liveauctioneers.com/item/66469460_allegories-of-the-four-seasons-kpm-berlin-around

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 10, 2018
  7. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

8. mmarco102

mmarco102 Well-Known Member

Highly doubt a pencil mark would survive the test of time. But assuming it was well cared for, pencils weren’t invented until 1775, and even then not widely available.

Still, a very nice piece indeed.

9. Christmasjoy

Christmasjoy Well-Known Member

Yes ... Sevres or not it is beautiful !!! .. Joy.

mmarco102 and i need help like this.
  10. Jimboweee

Jimboweee New Member

the pencil mark was added by previous owner, after doing some research, that is recent

Christmasjoy and mmarco102 like this.
  11. Mill Cove Treasures

Mill Cove Treasures Well-Known Member

Possibly a Samson piece. Samson made beautiful copies and used the Sevres mark. They also used a cross sword-like mark with an S. Here is a little information. If you Google Samson Porcelain, you'll find more information and you might find this mark.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edmé_Samson

12. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

Does the De Young or Palace of Fine Arts have a free appraisal day?

Christmasjoy likes this.
  13. Jimboweee

Jimboweee New Member

I posted this piece to eBay for 100 starting bid

14. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Clars Auction Gallery in Oakland does.

https://clars.com/contact-us/

Debora

15. clutteredcloset49

So does Butterfield's.

i need help likes this.
  16. clutteredcloset49

Didn't think Butterfield's would be qualified to tell the difference in real or repro. That's why I asked about the Museums.

For some reason, I thought the OP had said they were in SF.

i need help likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted