Sevres Imperial Potpourri Jars -- Authentic?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Clemens33, Jul 16, 2017.

1. Clemens33

Clemens33 New Member

Hi, can anyone please help me determine if this potpourri jar (1 of 2) is authentic, from the Sevres imperial period? Attaching images of mark and jar. Many thanks! 20170716_024733-898x663.jpg
    20170716_023532.jpg

2. anundverkaufen

anundverkaufen Bird Feeder

3. Clemens33

Clemens33 New Member

anundverkaufen likes this.
  4. Bdigger

Bdigger Well-Known Member

Just wondering........Am I right to assume that this is a fake mark ca 1960's. Comparing them all in the link above....Although none are quite the same as OP's, but the standout for me is the two red blotches after the M. which only appears in the fake mark. HOWEVER.....none of the fake marks show the slashes on the S like the authentic mark has as does the OP's , although they are decidedly different.
    Just trying to learn here.

5. anundverkaufen

anundverkaufen Bird Feeder

Here's the mark shown and explained in William Prime's book "Pottery and Porcelain of All Times". It says the mark was stenciled and the one he shows doesn't look much like the supposed authentic one shown on the Russian website.

Screen Shot 2017-07-16 at 7.34.05 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-07-16 at 7.33.12 PM.png

6. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

I'd go with this being a fake mark for 3 reasons: first, while it does resemble the 1804-9 imperial mark, every reference to that mark that I see specifies a simple letter M, not any kind of contraction, secondly the lettering style is different, and finally (and even more importantly) the quality simply does not seem to be there.

7. Clemens33

Clemens33 New Member

Thank you, all, for your keen insights! I knew I came to the right place. For additional context, the jars were given as a gift to a family member somewhere between the1920's and 1950's.

Two other things jump out at me: the three dolphins and the Napoleonic 'N.' The dolphins seem more from the royal court, to celebrate the dauphin or heir to the French throne. Would a relatively newly crowned Emperor Napoleon I be amenable to celebrating such a thing? Also, the Napoleonic 'N's I have seen from other first imperial period pieces online are capped with an imperial eagle or crown. The one in this photo is not.

Draft saved Draft deleted