Featured Sevres or not exactly? These 6" busts of Marie Antoinette and Louis XVI

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by sunday silence, Sep 25, 2021.

1. sunday silence

sunday silence Well-Known Member

2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

I thought they only lost their heads.:confused::bag:
    Nice looking busts though.

3. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

These look better than that last figurine, but I very much doubt it. Just compare these to other Sevres busts online.

4. sunday silence

which one are you referring to MOS? The Volkstedt christening?

5. janetpjohn

janetpjohn Well-Known Member

I don't see quality, with the painting or the mold, and the names on the bottom remind me of the bird figurines from Japan. The worthpoint listing says 1798, five years after they died.

6. sunday silence

yes janet. There seem to be a number of issues with these. The worthpt listing says there is an artist mark on the backside of at least one of them, a cross if memory serves also some sort of square. I called the auctioneer and he reported no other marks other than what you see on the bottom.

Also that Sevres mark with the L inside, that would indicate 1764 which makes no sense.

What really bothered me a lot was that the marks were rubbing off, you can barely see the one on Marie. Maybe that's just me, but don't those marks usually stay on for a long time?

my guess is these are later reproductions, although I dont know if by Sevres or they are blatent fakes.

John Brassey likes this.
  7. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

The not-exactly-Meisssen thread.

Under glaze marks are permanent. Over glaze marks are as easy to erase as they are to add.

Draft saved Draft deleted