Featured Sevres pseudomarks I think...

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Ownedbybear, Feb 10, 2016.

1. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Hi folks. These lidded pots are, to my mind, far too thick to be the real thing. So, just after confirmation that they're pseudo Sevres - the little gold cartouche also says L M & Co. Decoration does look to be handpainted, and I know they've some age - at least the 1910s.

210A.jpg 210B.jpg

Figtree3, judy, bercrystal and 2 others like this.
  2. silverthwait

silverthwait Well-Known Member

You are right. Absolute dreck. Toss in the dust bin.

Your address is...?

judy, bercrystal and Aquitaine like this.
  3. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Ah. ;) So, Sansom perhaps? Or, seriously, do you think they actually ARE what they purport to be? I thought too clunky.

judy likes this.
  4. silverthwait

silverthwait Well-Known Member

Let's just say, everyone always seems to say that any and all Sevres marks are pseudo.

I don't really care -- some things are just delightful, fairytale bibelots, and I can waft off into the rainbow mist, wearing my powdered wig, and silk dress with embonpoint edged with creamy lace and rosebuds...

You should see me in the Fragonard/Boucher room in the Frick Museum.

Or, perhaps not...

flowerchild, judy, DizzyDaff and 3 others like this.
  5. Mill Cove Treasures

Mill Cove Treasures Well-Known Member

I have read that the Sevres looking mark with the S was Samson.

judy likes this.
  6. Mill Cove Treasures

Mill Cove Treasures Well-Known Member

7. CBErin

CBErin New Member

This may be Gustav Stulz AG of Strasbourg; he made items around the same time as the Dresden rococo period, similarly decorated and had an "S" inside the Sevres style symbol. If it's his, it's better (better in the sense of more desirable, rarer) than Samson.

8. RON72

RON72 New Member

Sevres-01.JPG Sevres-05.JPG Sevres-02.JPG Sevres-03.JPG Hello everyone. I'm contemplating acquiring a Sevres "soupiere" myself. Width= 60 cm, height= 40 cm. It has the "S" mark. Is it authentic? What period?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 8, 2021
    moreotherstuff likes this.
  9. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

We can not see your photos. Here’s instructions for uploading.

10. RON72

RON72 New Member

I just edited my post with photos... Hope you can see them now?

11. i need help

Yes, I’ve just enlarged them. Just check the box for Full Images, next time.
    Welcome to the Forum! :)

RON72 likes this.
  12. i need help

13. RON72

RON72 New Member

Re. the photos I posted above with the help of the moderator, I'm learning on the net that this could actually have been made by the porcelain firm Samson, Edmé et Cie (aka Samson Ceramics), a famous copyist (and perhaps forger) of porcelain and pottery. The firm produced high-quality copies or imitations of earlier styles of porcelain, mainly 18th-century European and Chinese and Japanese porcelain, but also earlier styles such as Italian maiolica.
    Am I on the right track? And if so, what period would my "copy/forgery" be and how valuable would it be? It comes without the plate underneath--if there ever was one--and is 60 cm in width and 40 cm in height (pretty large).

14. RON72

RON72 New Member

Any idea anyone?

15. CBErin

CBErin New Member

See my post just upthread; I am convinced these are G. Stulz, Strasbourg. The way the reversed "L's" and S are stylized on your beautiful bowl and on my tea caddy are identical, and the decorations are similar- and similarly well-done- also.

Are you keeping it, Ron?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 11, 2021
    Figtree3 likes this.
  16. CBErin

CBErin New Member

He decorated in the Dresden style. Here is another splendid example, one of the finest porcelain figural groups I've ever seen (but out of my budget in a huge way!):

Attached Files:

Figtree3 likes this.
  17. RON72

RON72 New Member

Hi Erin, the guy is waiting for my reply. I'm just hesitating because no one knows what these are exactly and what period? I agree that the level of detailing seems quite high and neat. But is it just me or am I seeing some sort of transparent rectangular contour around the signature as if it was pasted instead of printed?

18. RON72

RON72 New Member

19. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Sevres manufacture their porcelain, they have no need to decorate that of others. If it has some other maker's name on it, it's not by Sevres.

20. RON72

RON72 New Member

OK. My question is: what's this mark on mine and is it legit? Any indication to period as well would be great...

Draft saved Draft deleted