Sewing Table Identification

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by Jesse Cooper, Feb 21, 2020.

1. Jesse Cooper

Jesse Cooper Child of God, wife of a beast, mother of heathens.

I purchased this table at a yard sale for $10 a few months ago from a woman at church who stated that the table was 10 years old when she received it from her sister in 1954 (age taken with a grain of salt). I am new to this and have so many questions! To my extremely untrained eye it appears to be a French Provincial piece but it’s a sewing table and I thought that combination a bit odd and possibly an alteration to the table’s original form. Just wanted to see if any of y’all could maybe help me with identification of the style, wood type and possible age. I checked for stamps but unfortunately someone had painted it black at one point and the only visible stamp was black brick lettering on the bottom that simply states, “ACCEPTED”. Thanks for the help in advance!

8E508628-83F4-4D0C-93F6-56D8C9F277E6.jpeg EA321A00-5B71-471F-AC10-0161E89C60F1.jpeg D61D71A3-BE02-47A2-8A87-16FBF64A8147.jpeg 6EAA24EA-87BD-4414-9539-C6383D27FFBE.jpeg

KikoBlueEyes likes this.
  2. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

Jesse Cooper and KikoBlueEyes like this.
  3. Jeff Drum

Jeff Drum Well-Known Member

The cutout looks correct to me for a sewing machine. I suspect it came that way from the factory (with a sewing machine installed) - few homeowners would be so precise with the alteration. Sewing tables came in different furniture styles so french provincial in mid 20th century would make sense. Drawer runners look american from about that time period.

aaroncab, Fid, Jesse Cooper and 2 others like this.
  4. wiscbirddog

wiscbirddog Well-Known Member

What Jeff said. My mother had a similar piece. The sewing machine part 'folded' down and out of sight.

Christmasjoy, Fid and Jesse Cooper like this.
  5. Jesse Cooper

Jesse Cooper Child of God, wife of a beast, mother of heathens.

There are brackets on the bottom side that appear to be for a drop down machine. It also had a spindle affixed inside the bottom right drawer but that was absolutely an alteration. It was a plastic flimsy little thing. I don’t believe it will be finding it’s way back on! Lol I am curious as to what type of wood this is. I am not well versed in how to identify them with any level of certainty.

Christmasjoy and Fid like this.
  6. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Looks like it might have had an old Singer sewing machine in it......if not Singer, it at least looks correct for a sewing machine as @Jeff Drum said!

Christmasjoy and Jesse Cooper like this.
  7. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted