Shanghai China Handled Vase - Age?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by KikoBlueEyes, Feb 24, 2021.

1. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

I was so excited to find this vase that was stamped Shanghai China on the bottom. It seems to have very interesting aspects. The stork and cloud patterns are raised from the surface; the glaze is mottled and has two colors - the green body and the brown rim and handles, and it looks to be hand painted and has some detail like painted feathers. Not a superior piece - probably a export piece but not without merit. The stamp on the bottom, I believe says Shanghai China, though most of it is missing. It is 6 inch high and 4 inches is diameter (roughly) at its widest point.) It doesn't not look like modern factory work to me. But I don't know, so I would appreciate any comments.
    IMG_9342.jpg IMG_9343.jpg IMG_9346.jpg IMG_9334.JPG IMG_9335.JPG IMG_9345.jpg IMG_9333.JPG

Last edited: Feb 24, 2021
    anundverkaufen and i need help like this.
  2. Ce BCA

Ce BCA Well-Known Member

That style of mark looks most like the inter-war or early 20th century style to me. Either way I like it, it does have a charm and I love the colour, I would had picked it up too.

KikoBlueEyes and anundverkaufen like this.
  3. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

Thank you for the confirmation of the mark and an idea of the time frame. Yes. I haven't see a lot of Chinese pieces with that color. It was a surprise to flip it over.

Draft saved Draft deleted