Sheets of vintage Chinese (I think they're Chinese) cards, need help identifying

Discussion in 'Ephemera and Photographs' started by AZCrazy, Mar 13, 2019.

1. AZCrazy

AZCrazy New Member

Hi, I'm new to the site, and very happy to have found it! I collect everything from pottery to art to glass to ephemera. I came across these sheets of Chinese (I think they're Chinese) cards?? They look like they are uncut sheets of cards to me - maybe some type of game cards? I've been looking for a year to try and find something similar, but no luck. They look to be maybe 1960s-1970s - with rudimentary printing - almost early post-lithography. They are printed on a thin cardboard type stock. Size of each panel is about 8" x 10". Each sheet also has writing on the back. Hoping someone here has an idea!
    Thanks,
    Richard

Christmasjoy likes this.
  2. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

19F522B2-9AA9-4183-91D0-3E4C13E6C53A.jpeg 16CF433B-F8FB-48F6-AEC9-2BD4D3E7C20D.jpeg Welcome to the Forum, Richard! :)
    You must embed your photos from the Gallery to this thread. Click on camera icon.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2019
    Figtree3 likes this.
  3. AZCrazy

AZCrazy New Member

Thank you! I think I found info on the cards - they might be Japanese Karuta cards?

i need help likes this.
  4. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

Not something I’m familiar with, so wait for other replies.

judy and pearlsnblume like this.
  5. BaseballGames

BaseballGames Well-Known Member

We've seen plenty of roughly similar items -- all with a baseball theme -- described as karuta or as menko, so we're a little ashamed we don't have more insight to offer on these sheets. Richard's appear to have a religious, mythological, or at least historical theme. We notice the bottom three horizontal rows on both sheets have identical images, the top row on the left sheet has the same images as the second row on the right, while the second row on the left and the top row on the right are unique. The left sheet appears to have been overprinted, or more likely "ghosted" during the printing process. No congratulations necessary for having pointed out the obvious! It's what we do.

Draft saved Draft deleted