Should i buy this antique painting? Is it Middle East or Africa?

Discussion in 'Art' started by chantaljones, Oct 14, 2020.

1. chantaljones

chantaljones Well-Known Member

This pictures is for sale in our local charity for weeks. Last week i almost bought it but didnt. Today I almost bought it again, but decided to take pictures first and show them to by partner.

But the more I look the more interesting it gets. Can somebody maybe tell where this was painted? I see palmtrees and a camel. From the clothing I guess it's shows a scene from an Islamic country. Also a building what looks like a mosque, but trough the doors you can see a cross, the four men are also wearing necklaces with a cross. Is it maybe Israel area?

Also what i want to know. Does it tell a story?

Don't know who the artist is because I can't read the signature, Can someone maybe help.

Thank you

20201014_120851.jpg 20201014_120856.jpg 20201014_120859.jpg 20201014_120901.jpg 20201014_120901.jpg
    20201014_120919.jpg

2. CheersDears

CheersDears Well-Known Member

It doesn't knock my socks off, but art is an individual choice and if you like it you should have it!

chantaljones likes this.
  3. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

Buy what you like!

chantaljones likes this.
  4. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

I'm with the others, if you like it and you feel the price is right, go right ahead.

chantaljones likes this.
  5. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

It's a work of Orientalism. Signature appears to be "Z. Michbach" but doesn't appear to be the work of a fully-trained artist.

Debora

antidiem and CheersDears like this.
  6. CheersDears

CheersDears Well-Known Member

I second Debora. This is not a painting you would buy for artistic merit. It looks pretty 'hobby painter' to me.

chantaljones and antidiem like this.
  7. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Z. Miebach to my eye.

chantaljones likes this.
  8. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Think you're right re Z. Miebach.

Debora

chantaljones likes this.
  9. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

I know the feeling, but I usually do best when I trust my first instincts

chantaljones likes this.
  10. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

I also think the signature is Z Miebach. How big is it? It looks like a small thing. Is it painted on the wooden board, or is that just the backing? If it is a small painting on board, it might have been made by a tourist/amateur artist while travelling in the Middle East. It seems to depict a specific building - maybe a shrine along the Jordan river (if that is a river in the background).

chantaljones likes this.
  11. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

It could well have been copied from an engraving. Armchair painting.

Debora

chantaljones and 2manybooks like this.
  12. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

13. chantaljones

Thx all. I will stay away of it. I also thought that it was done by a hobby painter. I'm still trying to figure out what art sells and which doesn't. Its so difficult. Guess many here had some ugly artworks which they offered for sale in auction and were shocked what the results were. Was hoping that these was one of them. Clearly not :(

Any Jewelry likes this.
  14. Firemandk

Firemandk Well-Known Member

@chantaljones ,looks like it has some age, I would buy it if the price was right ...looks like it is Christian / Ethiopian by the cross in the church and the camels ..... that's my guess.... I think it's kind of neat !

chantaljones likes this.
  15. chantaljones

Yesterday I was back in this shop, and guess what. The painting was still hanging there. I offered them a cheeky £10 and they agreed!

20201014_120851.jpg

Screenshot_20201029-172834_Gallery.jpg

Last edited: Oct 29, 2020
    kyratango, komokwa, antidiem and 2 others like this.
  16. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Congratulations, Chantal. I said if the price is right, buy it, and I call that the right price.:playful:

kyratango and chantaljones like this.
  17. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

Congrats! Good price for sure! Enjoy!

chantaljones likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted