Should i buy this vintage painting? Need help with signature

Discussion in 'Art' started by benbenny007, Oct 3, 2018.

1. benbenny007

benbenny007 I buy rubbish, and sell antiques

Somebody offered me this painting but not so sure yet if i should buy it. I do like it myself but i dont like the asking price £300. Maybe ill buy it if i can found out who the artist is. Can somebody read the signature of recognise the style?

Any info/input is welcome

Screenshot_20181003-091407.jpg Screenshot_20181003-091424.jpg Screenshot_20181003-091433.jpg Screenshot_20181003-091439.jpg

judy likes this.
  2. CheersDears

CheersDears Well-Known Member

I wouldn't buy it, but that's just my personal taste and a feeling that it's not that old or that good.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2018
    benbenny007, Christmasjoy and judy like this.
  3. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Given the painting's quality and seller's inability to identify painter, I would imagine the price is negotiable. (And it should be.)

Debora

Last edited: Oct 3, 2018
    benbenny007 and Christmasjoy like this.
  4. anundverkaufen

anundverkaufen Bird Feeder

The signature looks like Baumer, the title verso is “payaso” (clown in Spanish).
    I wouldn’t buy it.

5. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Are English telephone numbers still 5 digits? If not, when were they last?

6. SBSVC

SBSVC Well-Known Member

I don't quite know why, but it reminds me of all the "harlequin art" that was popular in the 1960's.

7. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

And the Keane paintings. Exactly.

Debora

benbenny007, Christmasjoy and Jivvy like this.
  8. Cris Drugan ISA-AM

Cris Drugan ISA-AM Active Member

Derby Daily Telegraph Derbyshire, England
    6 Apr 1912

Notice is hereby given that the partnership heretofore subsisting between us the undersigned Joseph Charles Pratt and Francis William Pratt,
    subsisting between us the undersigned Joseph Charles Pratt and Francis William Pratt, carrying on business pictureframe makers at 31, Curzon-street, in the County Borough of Derby, under the style or firm of J. Pratt & Co., has been dissolved mutual consent

Although it doesn't really look that old. Nothing on the artist.

benbenny007 and SBSVC like this.
  9. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

These brush strokes in particular, make me wonder if the image wasn't transferred to the canvas.....they seem to be 'overlaying'......and I see, as others have, nothing old about the back of the canvas & canvas frame.....can't tell the signature......JMHO!!

zzzzBRUSH STROKES.jpg

benbenny007, judy and aaroncab like this.
  10. Houseful

Houseful Well-Known Member

Reminds me of a child’s Christmas card in a Woolworths multi pack.

11. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Decorative reproduction paintings of this type were widely sold in gift and hobby shops. I would be leery that it's original.

Debora

12. Christmasjoy

Christmasjoy Well-Known Member

Poorly done .. one fat arm, the other extremely thin .. toys are not 'antique', hairstyle on the child modern, not very old at all ... Joy.

benbenny007 and judy like this.
  13. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

That's what I was thinking. I'd say buy if you like it and want to hang it, and can get it for the right price. For resale, don't pay more than $10.

Christmasjoy, benbenny007 and Jivvy like this.
  14. AuDragon

AuDragon Well-Known Member

With the linen inset around the front edge of the frame and the use of the brown paper water-based gum tape around the back of the frame, I'd suspect this was framed in the 1960's or even 70's. Linen slips or inserts were popular even into the 80's. Unless you can accurately identify the artist, at AUD$550, I'd be very cautious. :)

15. benbenny007

benbenny007 I buy rubbish, and sell antiques

Thanks to all. Great input. Learning every day. I will save my money and wait until something else shows up.

Houseful and Jivvy like this.
  16. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

It's not to my taste, so I wouldn't urge anyone to buy it. I don't see any toys, just what I think is meant to be a live puppy and the sort of vase that all children naturally have in their rooms. And the lantern floating in space. Not realistic, yet not very stylized either.

Jivvy likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted