Side by side secretary

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by SL315, Feb 21, 2022.

1. SL315

SL315 New Member

I’m trying to establish the maker and time period for this piece. Anyone familiar with this style? 7A77C9DA-21A1-44B4-86DE-40F550106BF4.jpeg

judy likes this.
  2. Fern77

Fern77 Well-Known Member

A late 19th/early 20th century piece with a clear 18th century influence (the concept was fashionable then, the style was not). If not marked, most likely made by any of a multitude of local or lesser know, relatively good quality furniture makers.

judy likes this.
  3. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Agree with the above time frame for this. Top is a bit unusual for these. Where did you get it?

4. SL315

SL315 New Member

Thanks!

5. SL315

SL315 New Member

Inherited from grandmother in Wisconsin. She inherited it from an earlier ancestor but I don’t know more than that.

6. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

It is most likely American then. You will probably never find a maker unless you can find a label or match it to a catalog page. There were thousands of makers, with many in WI and even more in MI. Chicago was still producing a fair amount of furniture at that time as well. Suspect it regional in origin.

7. SL315

SL315 New Member

Ok thanks. I’ve looked for markings but couldn’t find any. The time frame gives me a good idea of which ancestor may have owned it first.

Draft saved Draft deleted