Sideboard age

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by vickytom9, Jul 5, 2021.

1. vickytom9

vickytom9 New Member

CC6B7944-F7B4-469D-89CF-CC343C9F4CF4.jpeg Hello, I have recently moved and have decided not to take this sideboard with me. Is anyone able to tell me how old it is please? It was my mother's and we will either sell at an auction house or take it to the tip. We have moved to a rabbit hutch so it has to go. Many thanks

Last edited: Jul 5, 2021
    Bronwen likes this.
  2. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Greetings, Vickytom9. It would best for member visibility of your picture if you would EDIT your original post by changing the attached image from "thumbnail" to "full image."

vickytom9 and Bronwen like this.
  3. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

There's a deco feel to it. Do you have any idea how/when your mother acquired it? Has it been around as long as you have?

Be warned: the furniture folks will probably want more pix showing details of construction.

Darkwing Manor and vickytom9 like this.
  4. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

As you're a new member, this one is on me.

Debora

CC6B7944-F7B4-469D-89CF-CC343C9F4CF4.jpg

Bronwen likes this.
  5. vickytom9

vickytom9 New Member

Sorry, on a phone with no WiFi I think I've done it now

Bakersgma and Bronwen like this.
  6. vickytom9

vickytom9 New Member

I have known us having it since the sixties and it was in the elderly man's (whom my mother cared for) family home before that. We can't find any makers mark on it. I thought Art Deco but what I know about furniture would fit on a stamp, sadly

Bakersgma and Bronwen like this.
  7. Bakersgma

I think it's possibly older than Art Deco period because of the apparent use of quartersawn oak (which had its heyday here in the states from about 1890-WW1. UK use dates may not match.) But it could be transitional too.

AmyCurious, Ghopper1924 and vickytom9 like this.
  8. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

It's got very traditional feet, quarter-sawn oak, and almost has to be British or "other". If it were American I'd be thinking early 1920s. No matter what, that's a solid hunk of old oak and it would be criminal for it to land in the tip!

Just a thought. Some people here in the USA are repurposing old sideboards into furniture for a baby's room. They hold everything, and a changing table pad can go right on the flat surface. And they don't tip over; they're too heavy.

Tanya, Pattywithay and Ghopper1924 like this.
  9. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

That's very handsome. It deserves a proper home.

Debora

Tanya, Ghopper1924 and Bakersgma like this.
  10. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

Go to Facebook Marketplace, or Craigslist or other and post it for free, if you can't find a buyer.

Ghopper1924 likes this.
  11. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Or offer it to a family member so it stays within.

Debora

Tanya, Ghopper1924 and KikoBlueEyes like this.
  12. mark737

mark737 Well-Known Member

I agree with thoughts that it's early 20th Century, oak, in Arts and Crafts style with touches of Art Deco. I had a similar one last year that was a bit more Art Deco with Bakelite pulls and sold it for $500 (Central Texas). If you are in a decent-sized metro, I'd think you could easily get $200-$300 on Facebook or Craigslist, and probably a bit more if you're able to wait for the right buyer.

Ghopper1924 likes this.
  13. Bakersgma

The OP is in the UK. Is there another site similar to Craigslist that would work the same way there?

Ghopper1924 likes this.
  14. mark737

mark737 Well-Known Member

I didn't catch the location. Craigslist and Facebook Marketplace both operate in UK, though I don't know if there are more effective classifieds sites there. Ebay is always an option too.

Ghopper1924 likes this.
  15. Ghopper1924

Ghopper1924 Well-Known Member

Bakers makes a good point about quarter-sawn oak, but I would say this piece might be a bit later. Nevertheless, $200-$300 would be high for a piece like that around here, though I am admittedly far from the U.K.

This kind of quality is not made anymore, so finding it a home is a point well taken. The small amount of $ you might get for it is not worth the sacrifice in the long run.

mark737 likes this.
  16. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

20s or so. Art deco. Probably more value in the States than in the UK based on what I have heard from some of our members.

17. Fern77

Fern77 Well-Known Member

It has an art deco air, no doubt. I'd venture earlier, like, Edwardian--late Arts and Crafts. Good thing is it goes well with both kind of décor. Too bad you have to let it go. I'd snap if from you in a sec if I wasn't a world away. Have you talked to your local auctioneers?

vickytom9 likes this.
  18. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

I think it's a bit later. Those were still a Thing here in the 40s, but I'd favour 30s. Hard sell in the UK, which is sad. If you can attribute it to someone like E Gomme or Maples then that's better. Have you had a really good look under the drawers and so on?

vickytom9 and KikoBlueEyes like this.
  19. vickytom9

vickytom9 New Member

Thank you very much everyone. We rang an auction house close to us, who advised that there is no market for them, so they can't help us. We will take it to the tip. It is a shame, but even if I could keep it, it is simply too big for our new home.

20. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Oh, don't tip it! Offer it on Freegle or Freecycle, someone will want it. Or phone the BHF, they collect and will resell.

komokwa, AmyCurious and Tanya like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted