Sideboard / Buffet Identification

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by MyAntiquersName, Nov 14, 2018.

1. James Conrad

James Conrad Well-Known Member

Well, thing is, Pook chest most likely looks different in person, professional photographers can make a big difference, mostly with how they handle lighting. Another factor which was major, when people lived in the dark, up until 1830 or so here, they wanted paint that POPPED! muted colors was not their thing. The brighter the better! so they could see it in the dark! lol

Last edited: Nov 14, 2018
    judy likes this.
  2. Jeff Drum

Jeff Drum Well-Known Member

Hmm. Well I have furniture from the pre-1830 time period and I've never had any of my furniture professionally photographed, so I guess that's possible. But my experience has been that a good cleaning makes a huge difference in the appearance of any furniture that I have taken my own highly unprofessional photos of. I'm just afraid to do anything with my painted furniture for fear of damage. My fear is that it is possible to damage or flake paint with just a slightly damp rag, so until I know what I'm doing its best to leave it alone I guess.

judy and KikoBlueEyes like this.
  3. James Conrad

Yes, it's better to not mess with painted furniture unless you really know what you are doing. I won't remove clear coat myself, i'll have it done if i decide to do it I just wanted to see what it might look like if i had it removed. If i get it done will probably have a new clear coat installed on it that is also removable.

judy and Jeff Drum like this.
  4. James Conrad

I like the "clear coat" idea which i am guessing was applied when lid was restored sometime in the 19th century, it was warped. They did a good job on lid according to restorer who examined chest shortly after i bought it. The problem is, it has turned yellow at top and the lower down front you go the grungier it gets.

judy likes this.
  5. MyAntiquersName

MyAntiquersName Active Member

6. MyAntiquersName

Hi - I have posted more pictures and details of the sideboard. I apologize that some of the images seem to have duplicated themselves. Sorry, don't know how that happened. The images showing the closest to the true color of the sideboard are the leg detail and the back.

Thanks!

judy likes this.
  7. Jeff Drum

Jeff Drum Well-Known Member

These pics confirm what you were told earlier - US factory made mid-20th century of solid maple (probably quite heavy). Worth checking for sticker or stamp with a factory name in one of the drawers, though it won't really change the value.

i need help and judy like this.
  8. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Maple post-war with colonial styling.

9. MyAntiquersName

Thank you so much! I always thought of it as an oak buffet!

Would there be any value in it? Suggestions for where I could sell it?

Thanks so much, again! You've been so helpful! Appreciate it!

10. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Value is very dependent on location and selling venue. Here in my semi-rural Midwest location, I would be lucky to get $50.00 for this selling through craigslist or facebook marketplace. At retail it would be higher but would need some sprucing and something done with the handles since one is missing. You might do better (or worse) in your location.

11. MyAntiquersName

Hi - Thanks for the info. I'm in New York. I am adding 2 photos of an inscription I found on the back of the sideboard. I edited the color to give contrast since it was hard to get the writing to show. It looks like an Asian language to me. Does anyone know what this is?

Thanks! Sideback Back Inscription color adj DSC_0041 reduced.png Sideboard Back Inscription color adj DSC_00432 reduced.png

Draft saved Draft deleted