Featured Sideboard Designer search

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by gerspee, Jan 16, 2022.

1. gerspee

gerspee Well-Known Member

Own these sideboards from the Art Deco time and are coming from a grand house in Rotterdam-Kralingen in the Netherlands . The house is monument from 1903 and build in American style as said . But these sideboards I bought from the estate agent when the property was sold some years ago .

So I need input about a possible designer and are the French or ? The top plates are beautiful marble in very good condition . So help needed in this matter .. Thanks art deco cabinets  (16) (Middel).JPG art deco cabinets  (30) (Middel).JPG art deco cabinets  (16) (Middel).JPG art deco cabinets  (30) (Middel).JPG art deco cabinets  (14) (Middel).JPG art deco cabinets  (16) (Middel).JPG art deco cabinets  (30) (Middel).JPG art deco cabinets  (14) (Middel).JPG art deco cabinets  (24) (Middel).JPG

dude, Ghopper1924, johnnycb09 and 3 others like this.
  2. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Somebody channeling Ruhlmann.

dude and Roaring20s like this.
  3. gerspee

Well you said it but have not looked everywhere because there stored away now in a very tight space . But this was found then on the base off one off them behind the rounded wood . Just made this picture from what's on there and his autograph

naam dressoirs.jpg

Last edited: Jan 16, 2022
    dude, johnnycb09 and Born2it like this.
  4. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Ruhlmann was tremendously influential. I'd guess this is more in-the-style-of.

dude likes this.
  5. gerspee

IMG_4984 (Middel).JPG So French origine you think ?

And where are similar design sideboards and also like mine as a pair (1 big and one smaller ) in the same design ?

Last edited: Jan 16, 2022
    dude and Roaring20s like this.
  6. gerspee

And I can't find any bottom support made like this with half round wooden design . And I have seen a lot off pictures all ready but nothing to compare this

dude likes this.
  7. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Might even be English.

dude likes this.
  8. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

I was thinking Dutch or Belgian.;)

9. gerspee

art deco cabinets  (28) (Middel).JPG art deco cabinets  (30) (Middel) (1).JPG art deco cabinets  (26) (Middel).JPG But it's maybe possible to pin it to a country off origine by the used bronze fittings models and maybe the foot construction with the vertical lining in it ? And the mirror wood in 4 sections on the doors and the used (root) wood is maybe something mostly from ? And the name off the used marble in this color and decoration is maybe a link to a link ?

Any Jewelry and dude like this.
  10. Fern77

Fern77 Well-Known Member

Amazing pieces! I don't know what to praise more, the grain of the veneer, the marble tops, or the brass fittings, but they are top of the line. The signatures are nothing alike, though. They look French-ish of course, but if bought in the Netherlands, from an old estate, I would not discard they were made there.
    What I don't follow is the 1903 American style monument house, care to elaborate?

11. mark737

mark737 Well-Known Member

Love the hardware. I did some searching for similar ones and this was the closest I came across. For sale by a New York dealer and described as "French Art Deco Sideboard", but with no reference to a maker or markings to support origin.

FSB.jpg

12. gerspee

It's very difficult to find something similar in design when it comes to the foot part . I even think because off the design off the bronze fittings that it could be related to art Nouveau going to the art Deco style maybe so just from the time in between these two styles maybe ? Then it could be related to the house and the times it was furnished by the first owner who was wealthy enough to buy two related sideboards .

13. Fern77

Fern77 Well-Known Member

I've seen that kind of fret before. It's not unique, but very handsome. They are not transition but top notch 1920s Art Deco proper. The restrained naturalistic motif is not completely alien to the style. I personally like the proportions of the smaller one better (and the dog), by the way.

Born2it likes this.
  14. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

they are lovely................... ( I like the CAT ! BTW..!!! :playful:)

Any Jewelry, Fern77 and BoudiccaJones like this.
  15. gerspee

Thanks for the both responses and by the way the Dog is still alive and my late cat who had a good long life but is no longer with us (Pictures are on age already). Any idea where you have seen the lining with the fret's somewhere in furniture ?

Any Jewelry likes this.
  16. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

:oops::oops:..:sorry::sorry::sorry::sorry:

17. Fern77

Fern77 Well-Known Member

Not sure about the lining, but the fretwork under the hammer (mine) years ago, and if not mistaken in some of those Millers guides too. I'll see if I can find a pic.

18. gerspee

Thanks and hope you find it

Draft saved Draft deleted