Featured Sign worth restoring?

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by SeaGoat, Aug 16, 2017.

1. SeaGoat

SeaGoat Well-Known Member

Ive posted this sign before but I can't find the post any more..

[​IMG]

The gold leaf (I think the Springfield was possibly foil to give the crinkled shiny effect) on the Springfield has worn off..
    I cleaned the glue off a tiny area and tried some gold "leaf" paint, but it's more on the redish copper gold than a brilliant yellow..

Ive questioned taking it to someone who does gold letting professionally to help restore it.

My question is..
    I paid $30 for this. I haven't yet found anyone local who does leaf lettering to get a quote so I have no idea the cost involved (anyone here have an idea?)
    Would it take away from this sign, value wise, to have it restored?
    What would yall estimate current value vs restored value?

Also, Springfield Fire and Marine Insurance was founded in 1849 in Springfield, Ma.
    The original location was Fort St and Main St.

It relocated in 1905 to expand its growing business and merged with another company in 1958.

Do yall think this may be an original sign?

I found a couple other signs searching..

Early tin sign
    [​IMG]
    https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/old-springfield-fire-marine-insurance-co-tin

[​IMG]
    https://www.rubylane.com/item/97332-8024AS/Original-Metal-Advertising-Sign-For-Springfield

Later Porcelain Sign
    [​IMG]
    http://m.ebay.com/itm/262959297683?...vr_id=1285274050593&_mwBanner=1&ul_noapp=true

2. afantiques

afantiques Well-Known Member

I know little about the sign market but I think originality is prized over appearance, so I don't think your plan is advisable.

3. Joshua Brown

Joshua Brown Decently-Known-Member

Same

Ghopper1924 and lauragarnet like this.
  4. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

5. Kronos

Kronos Well-Known Member

Yup. The only way it would be worth restoring is if you were planning on keeping it and displaying it.

Insurance signs in general aren't high value in demand items. You will end up spending much more than you'll ever get back out of the sign for restoration.

Ghopper1924 and Joshua Brown like this.
  6. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

I remember last time's consensus. We all said don't touch it. ;)

7. SeaGoat

SeaGoat Well-Known Member

I do plan on displaying it..
    I can become a little OCD about some things.
    just.fix.it. right there, you see that little scratch, but wait lets just move over here to this area .....just a little.....
    :rolleyes:

After moving houses, storing it away, and finally pulling it back out I just finished the frame for it, I just now need to decide how to keep it within the frame without a full backing that won't further erode the paint.

My livingroom is green that I think will show nicely through the missing foil, accenting the existing colors.

Any ideas?

8. buyingtime777

buyingtime777 Well-Known Member

I certainly wouldn't touch it. Sign people would be turned off by the restoration and even if it was done it is not the biggest area of damage so it would still be far from perfect. It has great character and is very nice as it is!

Last edited: Aug 16, 2017
  9. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

If I were you, I'd look at potential sale prices for original condition and then the lesser amounts for home restoration versions and decide - if you ever want to sell it, you really won't make your money back. If you really want a new looking sign, look for repros and sell this one to someone who wants an original.

10. Mansons2005

Mansons2005 Nasty by Nature, Curmudgeon by Choice

Agree - wholeheartedly!

Though as a (moderate to severe) OCD sufferer I see your point and sympathize.........................

SeaGoat, Joshua Brown and Ghopper1924 like this.
  11. Ghopper1924

Ghopper1924 Well-Known Member

Yeah, I get the OCD thing as well. Mix it with perfectionism and things can get dicey.....

SeaGoat and Joshua Brown like this.
  12. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    If you keep it just touch up the missing black paint with black poster paint that can be washed off when you sell it. It will help the OCD.:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
    greg

pearlsnblume and SeaGoat like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted