Signature on bronze inkstand

Discussion in 'Metalware' started by Ce BCA, May 23, 2022.

1. Ce BCA

Ce BCA Well-Known Member

Hi folks,

Struggling with the siggy on this French bronze and marble ink stand, tried lots of combinations but can't get a match. Any ideas? Ty.

IMG_20220523_150607709.jpg IMG_20220523_150558287.jpg

judy, Born2it, NewEngland and 4 others like this.
  2. Brian Warshaw

Brian Warshaw Well-Known Member

C. Bonnot. C for Claude. Above the signature I think I can also see writing - starting with a B then 3rd letter y ***, but because of Covid I am about two years out of date with my eye test. So I could be wasting your time. It;s rather nice.

3. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Tell me about it, eye test, dentist. And maybe a few more years stuck at home.:(

4. Ce BCA

Ce BCA Well-Known Member

Many thanks, I can't find any reference to bronze with that name though sadly.

judy likes this.
  5. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Could that possibly say "Fr Bonnot"???? Tried darkening & enhancing, but not everything....it just looks like a sort of Script 'F' to me in front and am guessing at the 'r'.......may also be something small in front of the F, but so far can't quite make it out!

TESTA-150607709.jpg

judy and Ce BCA like this.
  6. Ce BCA

Ce BCA Well-Known Member

Just found a possibility, Marcel Bonnot - known for Deco car mascots, not too similar stylistically, but the nearest I have got so far - any thoughts on that name?

judy, Born2it and Aquitaine like this.
  7. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

With multiple searches, so far, I'm just coming up with the painter, Leon Bonnot.... not much help.....your guy did nice work, so he should show up....befuddled!!!!!

8. Born2it

Born2it Well-Known Member

I went down the same path/rabbit hole.

9. Born2it

Any Jewelry, judy and Ce BCA like this.
  10. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

This appears to be the OP's identical item. Compare the grain in the marble.

Born2it likes this.
  11. Born2it

I’m pretty much positive you’re right.

12. Lark

Lark Well-Known Member

I think the something small in front of the "F" may just be a curl to start the long underline.

13. Lark

Lark Well-Known Member

I love it. I like the way the space to lay your pen has flower petals to keep it from rolling off. At least I am guessing that is what that blank space is for.