Featured Signed Francico Quinoues Iwo Shima Feb. 19, 1945 Munson Leadership For American Army Leader

Discussion in 'Militaria' started by Mugzinnys, Jun 22, 2016.

1. Mugzinnys

Mugzinnys Well-Known Member

3-IMG_6591.JPG 1-IMG_6592.JPG 2-IMG_6604.JPG 4-IMG_6593.JPG 5-IMG_6594.JPG 1-IMG_6603.JPG 3-IMG_6591.JPG The book is signed by Francisco Quinoes Feb.19, 1945.
    With 2 photos of Rafael Seg____ Post ___ , New York City New York
    Legionaire 1 signed 1 frames.
    help with the name and Legionaire Post # also I am not sure if I spelled the Veteran's View attachment 42164 View attachment 42165 View attachment 42166 View attachment 42167 View attachment 42168 View attachment 42169 View attachment 42164 View attachment 42165 View attachment 42166 View attachment 42167 View attachment 42168 View attachment 42169 View attachment 42164 View attachment 42165 View attachment 42166 View attachment 42167 View attachment 42168 View attachment 42169 View attachment 42164 View attachment 42165 View attachment 42166 View attachment 42167 View attachment 42168 View attachment 42169 name correctly

Let's never forget the men and women who fought the war to keep us free.

These I purchase at a flea market to keep them from the trash bend now what?

Last edited: Jun 22, 2016
  2. springfld.arsenal

springfld.arsenal Store: http://www.springfieldarsenal.net/

I found 4 copies of the book available, used condition, from $10. -$15. Each. So it really isn't worth your time trying to sell it. You have to see if there's anything remarkable (meaning valuable) about the people who signed it. I'm not a book expert but my guess is you have something slightly interesting to WWII-interested folks but I still don't have the feeling there's money in it.

KingofThings likes this.
  3. Mugzinnys

I want to put it on google+ and facebook and see if I can find a relative that I can give one of the images to. Or perhaps the lodge would like a free copy, if it still exist I pay 5.00 for the trio. I can not make out or find a lead to the Legionnaire lodge or post # When I get more time I will make some calls I live in New York. These Veteran and their families are really important to me. I would give them away if I could find the rightful family with ID lol

KingofThings likes this.
  4. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

The name is Francisco Quinones (with ones of those squiggles (~) over the first n that designates the -nyuh sound.

I checked Ancestry's Military records for that name during WWII and found that there were several possibilities, ranging in birth year from 1905 to the early 1920's. I disregarded any that had an enlistment date after Feb 1945 or were released prior to that month. The records that were easiest to find were all death records, though not "casualties" of the war. There were at least 5 men and all appear to have been born in Puerto Rico. Only 1 had an enlistment date prior to the start of the War (although that turned out to be enlistment in the Coast Guard "coastal defenses.") There was another who enlisted in 1943 and stayed in until retirement in 1963.

Unfortunately, since there are no publicly available Census records after 1940, it would take quite a bit of time and digging to see whether any of them lived in New York City after the War.

BTW, the local "group" of the American Legion is called a "Post" not a "lodge."

One "odd thing" - I don't understand why he wrote "Iwo Shima" since the name of the "famous" island of the War is Iwo Jima.

KingofThings likes this.
  5. KingofThings

KingofThings 'Illiteracy is a terrible thing to waist' - MHH

I'm guessing that at the time and possible language issues that's how they heard the name.
    Chicijima is 150 miles north and so maybe this also a source of confusion.

6. anundverkaufen

anundverkaufen Bird Feeder

Jima is the anglicized version of Shima, shima means island.

7. Mugzinnys

It was toward the end of the day at the flea market when I came across these item. While breezing through the pages of this old book I see the words Iwo Shima. What came to my mind was war documentaries and the battle of Iwo Shima and the South Pacific. At first I thought the date in the book was after the War. I think it was the the photos, a scene after the war, with these Vets back in New York. But when I looked up Iwo Shima up on the Internet the date coincides one of the most famous battle of WII.

On February 19, 1945, American soldiers make their first strike on the Japanese Home Islands at Iwo Jima with the The American amphibious invasion of Iwo Jima during World War II stemmed from the need for a base near the Japanese coast. Following elaborate preparatory air and naval bombardment, three U.S. marine divisions landed on the island in February 1945. Iwo Jima was defended by roughly 23,000 Japanese army and navy troops, who fought from an elaborate network of caves, dugouts, tunnels and underground installations. Despite the difficulty of the conditions, the marines wiped out the defending forces after a month of fighting, and the battle earned a place in American lore with the publication of a photograph showing the U.S. flag being raised in victory.

Why would this soldier write this date, and was he a part of that invasion? download (1)yy.jpg download.jpg download (1)yy.jpg download.jpg images (1).jpg images (2).jpg images (3).jpg images.jpg

lloyd249 and KingofThings like this.
  8. Veronica72

Veronica72 New Member

Francisco Quiñones, that's the name.

KingofThings likes this.
  9. Veronica72

Veronica72 New Member

It says "this book is property of Francisco Quiñones" meaning "this book belongs to Francisco Quiñones". He called it Iwo Shima because that's how it sounds to Spanish spoken people the name Iwo Jima. He must be somebody who grew up in the US because he writes the capital I in manuscript the American way and not the Spanish way we would write it.

Ladybranch and KingofThings like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted