Signet Wax Seal Ring?

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by KevinM, Apr 12, 2016.

1. KevinM

KevinM Active Member

I recently purchased this ring and was wondering if it was a Signet wax seal ring and where it may have been made and when (approximately)? Looks like it's made of silver of an unknown purity with no maker marks inside the ring.

Thanks!
    Kevin

HPIM3712.JPG HPIM3721.JPG HPIM3718.JPG HPIM3716.JPG HPIM3719.JPG

cxgirl likes this.
  2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

That's not initials...nor does it look like a family crest...so I'd say no to a wax seal.

3. Shangas

Shangas Underage Antiques Collector and Historian

A signet ring comes from the latin Signum meaning "Sign" (from which we get "Signature").

They were usually cast in intaligo, so that the seal would be in relief when it was pressed.

I agree. This isn't a signet ring.

4. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

I wonder if the design is supposed to be inverted? Can you flip it to show it the other direction?

5. KevinM

KevinM Active Member

OK, thanks. So this would not even had been used or could have been used as a wax seal ring then?

6. Wanttoknow

Wanttoknow Well-Known Member

At the second picture the smaller part of décor (right at the top) looks like a "middle finger"! :p:hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:

7. KevinM

KevinM Active Member

I thought the ring as a whole looked more like an abstract face...

8. KevinM

KevinM Active Member

OK, here's another ring I purchased fairly recently, is this a Signet wax seal ring or a wax seal ring or something else? It has what looks like writing on it of which I have no idea what it says, where it's from or what the stone is made from if it is a stone. The ring is stamped 925 in multiple places inside it but that's it.
    HPIM3024.JPG HPIM3025.JPG HPIM3027.JPG HPIM3026.JPG

9. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

It's Arabic, probably a verse from the Holy Qu'ran. Not a seal ring, as it wouldn't impress all that well.

KevinM and Wanttoknow like this.
  10. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

The top ring looks like it has a mythical sea creature,a jelly fish with octopus tentacles.

KevinM likes this.
  11. DragonflyWink

DragonflyWink Well-Known Member

The first ring looks Bedouin, probably Omani; the carnelian intaglio looks fairly recent, perhaps Afghan or Iranian...

~Cheryl

KevinM likes this.
  12. komokwa

the 2nd rind does look more like something you press into hot wax.

KevinM likes this.
  13. KevinM

KevinM Active Member

Thanks everyone, I guess the first ring was not intended to seal wax. The second ring I was thinking Arabic or somewhere in the middle east. I think Cheryl is right with it being carnelian.

14. Shangas

Shangas Underage Antiques Collector and Historian

Let's be clear here.

You can press BOTH rings into hot wax, but whether or not that's their intended purpose, is another thing.

cxgirl likes this.
  15. komokwa

16. KevinM

KevinM Active Member

Wow komokwa, those electromagnetic energy driven hands on the Ruby Slippers really work, thanks for finding that, Magic!!! The silver carnelian agate intaglio seal signet ring in your link is a close match in some areas.

My ring is about, Head 20 mm x 12 mm, ring size 8.5 but a littler heaver at 10.82 grams. It also has the carnelian agate and script. The ring in your link looks like it's getting some attention too with 7 watching. Listed below are a few more images of my ring.

Thanks!
    Kevin

HPIM3028.JPG HPIM3030.JPG HPIM3031.JPG HPIM3034.JPG

spirit-of-shiloh likes this.
  17. komokwa

Uhh, Kevin...Wizard of Oz...those evil witches hands are be repulsed by the good magic of the ruby slippers !! :woot:

That said.....
    Just trying to show you what else is out there....that could be similar to yours.

It's a starting point !! :):)

KevinM likes this.
  18. KevinM

KevinM Active Member

Lions and Tigers and Bears, oh my! :) Thank You!

komokwa likes this.
  19. DragonflyWink

DragonflyWink Well-Known Member

Sales descriptions are not necessarily accurate, note the seller's description says "19th Century?"... As to whether it's a signet ring, the flat surface would make one think that, but the same designs show up on domed cabochons, and on pendants - translations might help, would expect there to be a reference to the owner or his family if intended as a personal seal...

Similar rings are still being offered by vendors, most noting Turkey or Afghanistan as their points of origin. Here's another similar ring, seller's description dating it to the 1980s: https://www.etsy.com/listing/66255096/tribal-ring-of-trust

~Cheryl

Last edited: Apr 14, 2016
    Lucille.b and komokwa like this.
  20. KevinM

KevinM Active Member

Thanks Cheryl. Yes, I actually think the ring I have was made in the 1970's or 1980's. I would only list this ring as vintage since I don't know the actual date and I would only list this one as to what it visibly is. Sterling Silver 925 Ring with a Carnelian Agate, (Inscribed Islamic or Arabic or ? - when I find out), Ring Size 8.5, Weight 10.82 Grams, with the dimensions, etc... If I'm in doubt I leave it out.

I have tried to run the characters through google translate for Arabic and a couple others but I find it's really hard to figure out the characters I find and match them to the keys on the translate keyboard. I'm amazed at what some of the prices are listed for on some of these rings.

Draft saved Draft deleted