Featured Silk & lace baby christening dress ?

Discussion in 'Textiles, Needle Arts, Clothing' started by charlie cheswick, Oct 26, 2021.

1. charlie cheswick

charlie cheswick Well-Known Member

Hi folks

Found this in charity shop fancy dress section

Thought it was sweet, looks quite nicely made

I think silk

Baby's christening dress ?

Was wondering the age of it, antique ?

There was a shawl ? That came with it

Any thoughts appreciated

It's not floating !

$_57 - 2021-10-26T214632.895.jpeg $_57 - 2021-10-26T214651.727.jpeg $_57 - 2021-10-26T214838.338.jpeg $_57 - 2021-10-26T214810.142.jpeg $_57 - 2021-10-26T214900.260.jpeg $_57 - 2021-10-26T214733.268.jpeg $_57 - 2021-10-26T214922.447.jpeg $_57 - 2021-10-26T214944.097.jpeg $_57 - 2021-10-26T215031.971.jpeg

Aquitaine, judy, KSW and 1 other person like this.
  2. Darkwing Manor

Darkwing Manor Well-Known Member

@NorthernLightsLodge .The lace looks machine-made to me, but I know little about it.

judy, KSW, pearlsnblume and 1 other person like this.
  3. charlie cheswick

4. charlie cheswick

5. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Does look like could be a christening outfit. With what appears to be machine lace. Two pieces don't match. And not an expensive set. Sure it's silk? (Has a bit more body than I'd expect.) From button, not terribly, terribly old.

Debora

KSW and charlie cheswick like this.
  6. Northern Lights Lodge

Northern Lights Lodge Well-Known Member

Hi Charlie!
    Tis the season of the witch! It does indeed look like it is floating! :)

What a charming set!
    Yes, @Darkwing Manor is correct! It is machine made lace. Kudo's Darkwing! :)

Very pleasing and very interesting design (with those little insets that look like Chinese characters!) and it looks like it may have some synthetic fiber in it as it picks up a bit of sparkle.

Yes, probably a baby's christening or baptismal gown. By the sheen on the dress fabric and the sheerness... is it silk? I "feel" like it is...

The puff sleeves and sparkle in the lace lead me to believe it is circa 1950's. Earlier christening/ baptismal gowns, even if they were short sleeve, tended to be "straight" and not puffy. Mother of Pearl buttons ? If so, the gown "may" be a bit older....plastic, definitely 1950's.

As for the shawl item: also machine and it also has a sheen on the embroidery - so probably has some synthetic fiber - rayon perhaps. The netting looks to be cotton?

You don't give the measurements; but, it seems a little small for a bridal veil or adult bridal veil and a little large for a Sunday morning church service head cover... perhaps it was a child's confirmation veil. I don't feel like it went with the gown; although someone may have used it with it. Also circa 1950.

Well, there is my 2 cents!
    Enjoy it... great pieces!
    Leslie

Figtree3, judy, KSW and 4 others like this.
  7. charlie cheswick

Thanks deb

Not 100% sure it's silk, but does look sooooooooo

Was only cheap anywayz

I had to tell the girl behind the counter, just to let you know I'm not weird, I sell things on the internet :)

judy, KSW and Northern Lights Lodge like this.
  8. charlie cheswick

What a marvellous 2 cents worth it was, thank you Leslie :kiss:

Aquitaine, judy, KSW and 2 others like this.
  9. Northern Lights Lodge

Northern Lights Lodge Well-Known Member

10. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

I was thinking 1950s too. The puff sleeves, the plastic button, the synthetic fiber...

Debora

11. charlie cheswick

What a marvellous 2 cents worth it was, thank you Leslie, I mean deb

:kiss:;)

KSW and Darkwing Manor like this.
  12. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Thank you to Leslie. I read her knowledgable post with great interest.

Debora

13. Rufus@frockstarvintage

Rufus@frockstarvintage Well-Known Member

Charlie, silk has a slight grab (for lack of a better term - it’s early here) against your skin when pulled between thumb & index finger. Next shopping trip, look for something labeled 100% silk and try that little trick and you’ll see what I mean.

The fabric of the gown looks a little like cotton batiste, which sometimes has a bit of sheen - are the pics true to life (beyond the ghostly floating illusion) or does your lighting enhance the sheen?

As an aside, I’ve bought second hand clothing for all ages and genders for so long & hardly ever get any side eye...but then I’m pretty weird in general, so my intended use of a frock is usually overlooked.

Google ‘fabric burn test’ if you want to determine actual content. You only need a few bits of thread from an interior seam... put threads in a clean ashtray or saucer, burn it, and the scent/ash will tell the tale.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2021
    charlie cheswick likes this.
  14. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

It's an undergown, rather than a full christening robe. I still have my own, exquisitely hand made by my very talented couture trained grandmother. It has a fine as spider web hand knitted over gown, single ply softest wool you ever felt. I'd think 50s.

That's a communion or confirmation veil, commercially made. I'd think sixties.

15. charlie cheswick

Great info, thanks obb

Ownedbybear likes this.
  16. charlie cheswick

Hi rufus, yeah it does have a natural sheen, that's what made me buy it thinking it was silk

there was a single loose thread that I cut off (not stitching thread) from the actual dress I tested

And it's definitely a natural fibre, so maybe cotton or wool like obb suggested

17. charlie cheswick

heres the sheen in natural light, and a close up with flash

c1.jpg c2.jpg

18. Rufus@frockstarvintage

Rufus@frockstarvintage Well-Known Member

Natural fiber will smell like burning hair. The ash left should become a powdery sort of nothing, like cigarette ash but more fine.

Synthetics (even a blend) will leave a hard black or grey bead behind.

Here’s the chart I use. Those who dislike links, search Ditsy Print’s Fiber Burn Chart or visit ditsyprints.com

https://www.ditzyprints.com/dpburnchart.html

19. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Certainly looks synthetic to my eye. If a natural fiber, I'd expect a cotton lawn.

Debora

20. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

There was a kind of rayon lawn, quite stiff, used here in the 50s. Often for petticoats.

Draft saved Draft deleted