Silk Thread Art?

Discussion in 'Art' started by Josh Drummer, Jul 17, 2018.

1. Josh Drummer

Josh Drummer Member

This was given to me a few days ago. I can't find any markings on it and I don't know anything about this kind of stuff. Reckon you guys and gals could tell me anything about it? I think it's amazing.

Attached Files:

2. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

F93CBCFC-DC1B-4FDF-8B33-5FCC727ED332.jpeg
    If you check Full size for all images, it’s easier for everyone to see. Sometimes a photo of the back is helpful too.

judy, Christmasjoy and komokwa like this.
  3. Josh Drummer

Josh Drummer Member

Ohhh, ok thanks.

It looks like somebody let their 6 year old use some caulk type stuff and cardboard to re-do the frame and add the little grooves. It's chipping away very easily just from handling it. Should I strip it all off and look for clues?
    20180717_023300.jpg 20180717_023457.jpg 20180717_023246.jpg

i need help and judy like this.
  4. Bookahtoo

Bookahtoo Moderator Moderator

I had something similar. I believe it's an embroidered painting on silk from Japan.

5. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Yes, it is Japanese, either woven or embroidered silk. I love the gold background.
    But it is badly framed, in a frame that has no business being anywhere near Japanese silk art.

i need help, Josh Drummer and judy like this.
  6. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

I would do the smell test. Take a few threads from the back and burn them,if they smell like hair they are silk,if they smell like plastic they arent. Pretty picture.

i need help and Josh Drummer like this.
  7. Sandra

Sandra Well-Known Member

Those ripples in the fabric may need to be attended to...steamed out?
    If you don't want to spend a lot of money, you may consider someplace like Michaels framing department. They could suggest suitable matting and frames and they pretty near always have 40-50% off coupons if you search online.

Josh Drummer and i need help like this.
  8. Josh Drummer

Josh Drummer Member

Yeah about the ripples. I'm guessing this isn't the way to frame these or anything else but it looks and feels like they stuffed cotton or something under it. Maybe this picture will show it better. It's very thin plastic covering it. I'm about to carefully remove all this goofiness and check it out. 20180717_093917.jpg

9. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

A Shinto gateway is all I can add.

Josh Drummer and i need help like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted