Featured Silver & agate ring

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by David Askett, Nov 4, 2022.

1. David Askett

David Askett Well-Known Member

I found this unusual, large, heavy ring today. The metal tests as slightly over 70% silver, and the orange stone appears to be agate. The ring has a north African look to it, at least to my eyes. Does anyone recognize it? I would love to know where it comes from and how old it might be. The seller said it had been in their family for generations, but these stories aren’t always reliable!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Any Jewelry, kyratango and komokwa like this.
  2. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Doesn't look old to me at all.

3. Boland

Boland Well-Known Member

Interesting ring. Has like a fantasy ‘magic like’ vibe to it.

David Askett likes this.
  4. David Askett

5. Satin In A Coffin

Satin In A Coffin Well-Known Member

I believe it's Taureg. I can't speak to the age though as they use a lot of traditional designs up to today.

6. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Interesting....Looks like it could also make a self defense weapon!!!:eek::rolleyes::jawdrop:

7. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Tuareg is the correct word, if it helps. ;)

Paging @Any Jewelry

8. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Yes it is. Pronounced as Too-ah-reg. Sort of...:D
    It is beautiful. It is called a 'tanfouk', a hair ring. These rings were attached to strands of hair, but could also be worn on strings, along with Tuareg crosses. The agate/carnelian part was made in Idar Oberstein, Germany, and exported to North Africa.

9. Any Jewelry

Tuareg woman wearing different types of tanfouk:

upload_2022-11-5_20-0-5.jpeg

10. Any Jewelry

This lovely lady is wearing tanfouk both in her hair and on a cord that holds her veil in place:

upload_2022-11-5_20-3-23.jpeg

11. David Askett

Thank you for the great information, and the photos! Do you think my tanfouk has any age to it?

Any Jewelry likes this.
  12. Lark

Lark Well-Known Member

I could never live there! I would tread getting dressed in the morning! I am strictly wash and let dry.

Any Jewelry and komokwa like this.
  13. Any Jewelry

I think it is late 20th century, when some tanfouks got more elaborate.
    There is some influence of hair jewellery worn by other Amazigh or Berber groups. If I have a photo of that type I'll post it here as well.

The Tuareg are part of the larger Amazigh or Berber people, who are related to Europeans rather than to Sub-Saharan Africans.

David Askett likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted