Featured "Silver Artists" anyone?

Discussion in 'Silver' started by Jeff Drum, Dec 10, 2019.

1. Jeff Drum

Jeff Drum Well-Known Member

I ran into this small bowl and I'm convinced it is sterling though it isn't marked as such that I can find. It is marked "Silver Artists" "SA9". According to Rainwater, "Silver Artists" was used for a time by Reed & Barton but they have no information on when the name was used or for what kind of wares. Has anyone run into them before?
    PC101914.JPG PC101915.JPG PC101916.JPG PC101917.JPG PC101928.JPG

2. DragonflyWink

DragonflyWink Well-Known Member

Have run into 'Silver Artists' pieces before, they appear to be mid 20th century, and silverplate, often with visible wear to base metal - as to whether they are the same line as 'SILVER ARTISTS CO.' (don't recall seeing a mark like this) shown under Reed & Barton in Rainwater, can't really say...

Extremely unlikely to be other than plated, why are you sure it's sterling?

~Cheryl

3. DragonflyWink

DragonflyWink Well-Known Member

4. Jeff Drum

Jeff Drum Well-Known Member

Well, you're quite right, it is plated. I went back and looked more critically. I buy all the silver I have as plated so it was nominal cost.

I wasn't sure it was sterling, if I had been I wouldn't have posted here. It had the look and flexible feel and a much better design than almost all the silverplate I see, but I was being hasty since I didn't recognize the name and thought it might be hand worked from an artist collective I hadn't heard of. Unfortunately "Silver Artists" isn't easy to google (since the words are so widely used together). BTW, I've noticed in the past that Reed and Barton do a better job than most of plating their wares, but whether this is really from them or not I can't say.

Thanks!

Last edited: Dec 10, 2019
    aaroncab and J Dagger like this.
  5. J Dagger

J Dagger Well-Known Member

Its a beautiful bowl either way. I know that knowing it’s sterling makes it 10x more beautiful in your head but it is nice. The flower is beautiful IMO. I have a great very early R&B bridal basket that’s plated that I keep. Then a couple quad plated smalls. I like the looks of quad plate for some reason.

Draft saved Draft deleted