Silver Aztec Mayan necklace

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Eils14, May 14, 2020.

1. Eils14

Eils14 Well-Known Member

Hi everyone,

I picked up this necklace very cheaply in a French flea market last September and I know nothing about it! It is stamped 0900 on the sister clasp, which I have since learnt is for South American silver.

The only example I could find online of anything similar classed it as Aztec/ Mayan, which I think of course must at best mean inspired by if correct!

So I am looking to see if anyone knows more about possible South American jewellery than I do, as clearly I don't know much, and also if there are any thoughts on when it could be dated to?

TIA Silver.JPG silver2.JPG silver3.JPG silver4.JPG silver5.JPG silver6.JPG

Xristina likes this.
  2. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

I'm seeing silver with those types of figures identified as Colombian and Incan on the internet. (The terms are not mutually exclusive.) Certainly not Aztec or Mayan. (These two terms are.)

Debora

Last edited: May 14, 2020
  3. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

I agree, South American, not Mexican or Central American.
    Some of the figures look inspired by Tiwanaku culture, others more like tribal art.

Eils14, Xristina and i need help like this.
  4. Any Jewelry

Eilidh, I should have explained, Tiwanaku culture was a pre-Columbian culture on the shores of Lake Titicaca, on the border of present day Peru and Bolivia.:)
    I am trying to multi-task at the moment, not my greatest talent, so things get missed.:D

5. Eils14

Eils14 Well-Known Member

Thanks, my knowledge of such things is quite limited....had to google Tiwanaku, so I see what you mean, which seems like Colombian may well be nearer the mark than I had seen previously!

Perhaps it may well be a mix of figures from different cultures though, as you are suggesting. I just haven't seen one like it before and was drawn to it....especially for the 7 Euros I paid, so was quite happy with it at that price wherever it turns out to be from! :happy:

Any Jewelry likes this.
  6. Any Jewelry

Exactly, nice necklace, nice bargain.:)

Eils14 likes this.
  7. Eils14

Eils14 Well-Known Member

Any Jewelry likes this.
  8. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Colombia and Bolivia are over 1,500 miles apart. You can check out Colombia's San Agustín figures as another possible inspiration.

Debora

Last edited: May 14, 2020
    Eils14 and Any Jewelry like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted