Featured Silver bangle and ring, any thoughts?

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by 808 raver, Apr 23, 2024.

1. 808 raver

808 raver Well-Known Member

s-l1600 (64).jpg s-l1600 (65).jpg I took a punt on a ebay lot the other day because the seller didn't look like they investigated any of the items they were selling, so I took a punt and bought these for £15 inc P&P. I received them this morning and looked online for a home test because I didn't have a proper testing kit, I used the bleach test for silver and it tarnished in seconds so I'm assuming they are silver. The bangle weighs 69g and the ring 9g. Does anybody have anymore insight into these? they are unmarked, solid and seem to have other metals imbedded. Any help would be fantastic :)

Last edited: Apr 23, 2024
    Marote, komokwa, Dessert58 and 2 others like this.
  2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Very good news, raver.:happy: And a nice chunk of silver too, a real bargain.
    It is fairly recent, but hoping the costume joolies will know. And no, they won't laugh.;)

Dessert58, johnnycb09 and 808 raver like this.
  3. 808 raver

At the moment I'm happy that they are silver, my wife hasn't given a opinion yet other than "they are very small" :)

johnnycb09 and Any Jewelry like this.
  4. Any Jewelry

Are they small? What are the sizes, like the inside width of the bangle?

808 raver likes this.
  5. 808 raver

The inside width is 5.8 cm by 4.8 cm. I am very chunky (not fat) lol they don't go anywhere near my wrists and the ring doesn't fit on my little finger.

Any Jewelry likes this.
  6. Any Jewelry

That is small. It would fit me, but it would be too small for most European women. That is probably why it was so cheap, although it is much less than melt value.

If you want to sell the set, make sure you can sell to Mediterranean countries and Asia.

7. 808 raver

The fact is that it's unmarked probably means it wasn't made in this country but I think it could also be made for a child?

Last edited: Apr 23, 2024
  8. 808 raver

The ring size is 17.1 mm a N UK or 54 EU or 6 1/2 US that seems small to me.

9. Any Jewelry

I can't really see a child wearing this type of Post-Modern jewellery.:confused:
    I could wear that, but it is not your usual northern European size. Whenever I see nice rings from Italy they are usually even smaller, 16 or 16.5.

Dessert58 likes this.
  10. 808 raver

Oh perhaps I'm just big lol I am rather large 6ft,1 and 16.5 stone so maybe it would fit a lot of smaller people. I didn't buy it for my use and it doesn't fit my wife I just bought it because I thought it was more valuable than what I paid. The inlaid bands are quite deep, by the looks of it it's brass, another metal (could be palatium) silver, copper, and gold 9ct.

11. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

The ring is my exact size & my wrists are 6" around, so I'll PM my address, shall I? :D Looks very good quality to me, like maybe a high end take on a designer piece.

Marote, 808 raver and Any Jewelry like this.
  12. 808 raver

My wrists are 9" round, my wrists won't even go though the opening lol. I was hoping for some sort of designer but I doubt it, I know nothing about jewellery, they seem very well made.

Any Jewelry and Bronwen like this.
  13. Any Jewelry

Yes, they are very well made, but without a signature or any kind of mark, it is a copy of a designer set at best.

Jewellery is one of those fields where you have to study before you buy. Or grow up with it, like I did. Mind you, I studied a lot too and still do.

Bronwen, Marote and 808 raver like this.
  14. 808 raver

I totally agree, without a signature nobody will know who made them thus only worth the intrinsic value of the metal. I will say (after working in Bond St for a few years) names aren't what they used to be. Once a name stood for high craftsmanship, something you could rely on, today names often get a good reputation because they pay people to say how good their product is when in fact you can buy the same product for a fraction of the cost and it will last 4x as long. Designer goods are often paying famous people to wear their goods so us minions will buy their overpriced, poorly made bling to impress others, I'm sorry but I've never bought into that. I endeavour to buy the best quality but I'm never worried about the name, of course my views on designer goods aren't what the world thinks so I don't hold out hope for my un-named bangle and ring :)

Bronwen, mirana and Any Jewelry like this.
  15. Any Jewelry

Agree.
    I don't wear that kind of designer jewellery anyway, and am not impressed if someone I don't even know personally wears it.
    I wear what I like, which is often antique or ethnic jewellery. I have some jewellery by known Mexican and Native American makers, but that is not the style 'influencers' promote.
    You never know. Not that many people follow influencers.

Bronwen, mirana, Marote and 1 other person like this.
  16. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Some designer jewelry is pure junk. This sort of unnamed "junk" I'll buy any day, all day. The ring is about a half size too small for my ring finger, but the bracelet sounds really bitty. I'd have better luck with the bracelet. I've seen that clasp done on Mexican jewelry, but not by any particular designer.

If selling, definitely include the Asian market. People with small hands often have a terrible time finding bangles that fit.

17. 808 raver

Thank you, I will if I sell it.
    I have tried every way of describing these into google images and can't find one single one like it, you would have thought such a simple design as this would be common?
    I wonder if the metals are all some sort of gold? wouldn't the brass and copper have gone green by now?

Bronwen likes this.
  18. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

From what I can see in the photo the construction of the bracelet was not simple.I have been wearing a sterling and copper bracelet for thirty years and it has never turned green with verdigris.

Bronwen likes this.
  19. anundverkaufen

anundverkaufen Bird Feeder

Bronwen and 808 raver like this.
  20. 808 raver

That's interesting about it not turning green, so it maybe brass and copper. I thought they were well made and the bangle feels good when it closes

Bronwen likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted