Featured SIlver Box 18th Century? HELP with Marks

Discussion in 'Silver' started by Dennis Vogt, Nov 15, 2014.

1. Dennis Vogt

Dennis Vogt Member

2. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Bingo! Great pictures, Zip.

3. Dennis Vogt

Dennis Vogt Member

4. Dennis Vogt

Dennis Vogt Member

Thanks Bakers!!! I'm a little slow on the uptake sometimes!!! Hey, any idea what this little container would have been used for? There are four little floral medallions around the box, each has a different plant in a different pot...There is also a little nipple inside the lid which I just noticed to keep the lid tightly closed... Its a very cool little box, caddy, whatever it is!!! :) Geez, I am SO glad to be here with all of you!
    I might add, that I left the ebay antiques group because I have some sorta awful PTSD issues from Vietnam, and the troll action was beginning to make me a little uncomfortable. SO good to be back with my friends! :)

5. Dennis Vogt

Dennis Vogt Member

Cheryl, are you saying this is probably no NEWER than the late 1770-80's, and could be 16th century? I wonder what the market is for Spanish Colonial Guatemalean silver is??? VERY interesting!

6. Bakersgma

(((Dennis)))

It's so small I really can't think of anything other than a holder for herbs (think it's awfully small for tea, but could be.) Perhaps medicinal?

7. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

8. Dennis Vogt

Dennis Vogt Member

I'm thinking medicinal as well, Bakers, its 2 1/4" x 3 1/4", so it would seem a little large for snuff unless it were a "Master" snuff box, Bev :) And the flower pots and flowers throw me a little but that might be medicinal as well....I'm really jazzed......could be the oldest thing I've ever found!!! :)

9. DragonflyWink

DragonflyWink Well-Known Member

There is a good market for genuine Spanish Colonial silver, the Mexican pieces were heavily and usually obviously faked, can't say that I've seen any faked Guatemalan pieces and doubt that this piece would be something likely to be a forgery - but it's definitely not an area of much knowledge for me. My initial thought, from the shape, was maybe a pyx (host box) - and yes, it could be older than 18th century. If mine, would probably be looking for an expert opinion - maybe the Spanish Colonial Arts Society in Santa Fe might be able to suggest someone, or maybe a reputable auction house...

http://spanishcolonial.org/

Quite a bit different from your piece, but gives an idea of what a nice, really old Guatemalan piece can bring: http://www.christies.com/lotfinder/...5391&sid=87634816-0106-4c46-a9e1-7ffafbd469f0

~Cheryl

spirit-of-shiloh likes this.
  10. Dennis Vogt

Dennis Vogt Member

HOLY JAHSUS!!!!! :-P IM gonna send some photos to the Santa Fe Society....THANK YOU Cheryl!!! WHOOOHOOOOOO!!!! I still have a decent eye, even though I only have one!!! :) <3

11. Dennis Vogt

Dennis Vogt Member

Well, I got almost $1300 for the little box. Turned out it was part of an 18th century desk set, and held ink!!!! THANKS Cheryl!!!! <3

12. Bakersgma

That's wonderful!! Congratulations!

13. Dennis Vogt

Dennis Vogt Member

HOWDY BAKERS! Allowed me to have Christmas for my family....SO nice when those things happen at just the right time!

14. Bakersgma

A very merry Christmas to you then!

15. Messilane

Messilane Well-Known Member

16. 42Skeezix

42Skeezix Moderator Moderator

Congrats! That's great!

Sweet piece.

17. quirkygirl

quirkygirl likes pretty old things

What a nice little box!... And a nice ending price. Very happy for you!

18. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

That is great, Dennis - Congratulations!

19. spirit-of-shiloh

spirit-of-shiloh Well-Known Member

Congratulations Zip, what a great ending. What a great little box too. :cat::cat::cat:

20. DragonflyWink

DragonflyWink Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted